Clicking on breast

LoveMyBaby786

Reaction score
Since day 1 my baby girl has been making a clicking noise when she is feeding. Not all the time but she does it 70% of the time. I know she has a good latch as i dont get pain and she has a nice big wide mouth when i put her on the boob. The clicking noise stops when my milk starts to come out.

Amy idea why this happens? I did ask the midwife when lo was a few days old and she said she probably isn't latched properly but a month later its still happening.

They told us in breastfeeding class that the sound means baby isn't latched right, and in my experience when she isn't latched right she makes this sound...

But, when she sucks on her hand she makes the sound...

Maybe every baby latches differently. Do you think baby is seeming satisfied after eating? Maybe when your milk drops down she gets a stronger latch? I don't know. Would be curious to hear if anyone has answers!

Since day 1 my baby girl has been making a clicking noise when she is feeding. Not all the time but she does it 70% of the time. I know she has a good latch as i dont get pain and she has a nice big wide mouth when i put her on the boob. The clicking noise stops when my milk starts to come out.

Amy idea why this happens? I did ask the midwife when lo was a few days old and she said she probably isn't latched properly but a month later its still happening.

Hi my LO sometimes makes a clicking sound too, my health visitor said it was because let down was so fast she looses suction.

Yes she always seems satisfied after her feeds not hungry or looking for more. Its just when she first latches on she makes the clicking noise and then when the milk comes through the clicking stops. If it was a poor latch wouldnt it hurt me and wouldnt she pop off the breast? To me the latch seems good, she gets a good amount of breast in her mouth so honestly have no idea. Apart from that noise everything else seems perfectly normal

If it doesn't hurt and she is putting on weight and having plenty wet and pooey nappies and there is no pain or damage to your nipples then I don't think you need to worry!

Yeah it sounds fine to me too. If it wasn't working I think she would be more fussy and wouldn't be wetting her diapers! After reading this I noticed a little clicking here and there with mine too!

Thomas would click like that also. I nursed him until 17.5 months with no issues. He gained weight fine.

mine used to do that but his latch was awful and it was a sign of being tongue tied. but if your LO seems to be feeding ok and you are not in pain, maybe that is just the way she latches on at first?

Clicking is a common sign of tongue tie - in theory you won't need it corrected if feeding is pain free and she's gaining weight well etc.

However tongue tie can sometimes (not always) cause problems like speech development issues and tooth decay (because you naturally wipe debris from teeth with your tongue after eating but ties can prevent full movement of tongue).

At this age tongue tie is simple to correct and requires no anesthetic -my DS had it done as a newborn and didn't even cry - but if you wait to see if problems arise later then anesthesia and pain relief would be required. It might not even be tongue tie and I'm not saying what you should do, just worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->