clicking while feeding

Mum2BKW

Reaction score
Scarlett has always had an occasional clicking sound when she feeds, it's her lips slipping and is all to do with her latch. Recently she's started clicking with almost every suck and I can see her bottom lip slipping, sometimes she ends up on my nipple and I have to take her off and start again. Sometimes we have to repeat this throughout the feed until she is done, her latch never seems to improve. It means she gets frustrated when feeding and swallows more air :nope:

I'm not sure why it's suddenly got much worse, I have an overactive let down but this has always been the case. Any suggestions what I can do to stop the clicking?

Have you checked or had her checked for tongue tie? Sometimes they click if the have one. Getting it snipped will solve the problem. When they have a tongue tie they can't curl their tongue properly so they don't get a good suck.

Have you checked or had her checked for tongue tie? Sometimes they click if the have one. Getting it snipped will solve the problem. When they have a tongue tie they can't curl their tongue properly so they don't get a good suck.

How do I check for tongue tie?

Ur healthcare provider can check that. If if her tongue is heart shaped at d tip wen she sticks it out. Also check her tongue goes past her lips when she sticks it out.

Otherwise id say its a bad latch. Olivef stsrted doing it lately. He has gotten lazy and likes to nipple feed! I take him off and relatch with as much breast tissue in his mouth as possible. Also hold her very close so she doesnt slip onto the nipple. Lansinoh and other things can make the nipple slippy so give it a wipe with a muslin.

As they r similar in age i wonder do they go thru a lazy spell with d latch as its a recent problem for me too!

Sometimes my girl clicks - is often to do with ger being so hungry she's not latching and sucking well. I try and not let her get too hysterical when she needs fed. She does it quite a lot but it hasn't stopped her from getting what she needs.

My daughter clicks constantly, she had a tongue tie but this is divided and she still cliks, we have been poked and prodded by so many people and she's stumped all of them, lucky for me Is putting on fine although she gets terrible wind :( good luck

if you want to take a look yourself you can either look when LO is crying. Look under the tongue for what almost looks like a string of skin under the tongue at the back and in the middle. Or watch LO's tongue when crying and see if there is a funny little wave at the tip of the tongue. Or you can run your finger under the tongue and feel for a "speed bump" in the middle. If you look online you can see what a tongue tie looks like so you know what to look for. And of course have your doctor or lactation consultant take a peek and see what they say

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->