Clomid Baby

hlynne

Reaction score
Im wondering if any of you ladies are pregnant due to taking Clomid, or if you have had a healthy Clomid baby before.

I took one round of Clomid and it worked right away and am 9 weeks pregnant. I came across a lawsuit linking Clomid to birth defects. Although there isn't anywhere near a positive link between the two. The study was pretty weak. It might just be lawyers trying to get money as always.

Does anyone have any more info they can share?

Thanks so much!

Mine is a clomid pregnancy - and I have looked into this a little. The FDA have categorised Clomid as category X which means that there is evidence that it can cause birth defects when taken during pregnancy. I think this is a big point of clarity - they have tested it on animals THAT ARE ALREADY PREGNANT and there is evidence that it can cause birth defects in those animals' offspring. There are no tests that show a clear link between using clomid to trigger ovulation and the resulting pregnancy having birth defects.

Given my history (see my signature) I never thought I would be pregnant again so i'm not having any screening other than my 20 week scan which will check for visible abnormalities. I know based on my experience with DS that you never stop worrying, even if they are born seemingly perfect, anything can happen, either genetically or accidentally, and you will always be their mummy and work through whatever life throws at you. I don't believe Clomid increases the risk, personally, of birth defects, but I do believe that every pregnant woman should think about the prospect of not everything being perfect with their baby, because that's how life is sometimes. One of my friends has a DS who has a birthmark on his forehead and she was initially devastated. But over time she realised that compared to heart defect, trisomy issues, or god forbid stillbirth (which 3 of my friends have experienced, sadly) - her DS's birthmark was very trivial.

Sorry - the other thing I meant to add is that most if not all women who are taking Clomid have fertility issues, whether there is a known cause or not. On that basis, chances are their egg quality is worse than people who do not have fertility issues. So I personally think that if there is a link between clomid pregnancies and birth defects, it is more likely due to the egg quality not being great in the first place, than it is to be due to clomid inducing ovulation. I'm an accountant though, not a scientist!

Mine is a clomid pregnancy - and I have looked into this a little. The FDA have categorised Clomid as category X which means that there is evidence that it can cause birth defects when taken during pregnancy. I think this is a big point of clarity - they have tested it on animals THAT ARE ALREADY PREGNANT and there is evidence that it can cause birth defects in those animals' offspring. There are no tests that show a clear link between using clomid to trigger ovulation and the resulting pregnancy having birth defects.

Given my history (see my signature) I never thought I would be pregnant again so i'm not having any screening other than my 20 week scan which will check for visible abnormalities. I know based on my experience with DS that you never stop worrying, even if they are born seemingly perfect, anything can happen, either genetically or accidentally, and you will always be their mummy and work through whatever life throws at you. I don't believe Clomid increases the risk, personally, of birth defects, but I do believe that every pregnant woman should think about the prospect of not everything being perfect with their baby, because that's how life is sometimes. One of my friends has a DS who has a birthmark on his forehead and she was initially devastated. But over time she realised that compared to heart defect, trisomy issues, or god forbid stillbirth (which 3 of my friends have experienced, sadly) - her DS's birthmark was very trivial.

I did read that the facts were based on animals that were ALREADY PREGNANT. That makes no sense to me. Why do a study on animals that would not even happen with humans. Once we find out we are pregnant there is no need for clomid. I agree with you about egg quality as well. I would assume that most people that are on Clomid do have an egg quality issue, unless they are forcing ovulation.

Anyway, thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->