Clomid but ovulating normally!

Kellysmom

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here can help. My hubby and I were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. All the tests have come back normal. The next step, according to my doc, is Clomid. I'm worried though because I ovulate regularly and on my own, and I have had 4 successful, natural pregnancies. My LP is also dead on 15 days.

Someone else explained that it's given to improve the quality of ovulation.... but how is this determined? Is there another test that my doctor should be doing to determine if my ovulation is weak? CD 3 tests determined FSH is 7.6 and E2 is 29. Thanks ever so much ladies!!

I'm not a doctor, but:

the quality of ovulation may mean "stronger" ovulation via enhanced follicular growth, improved rate of follicular maturation, and/or a multiple number of follicles released.

Clomid works on the pituitary, which in turn stimulates FSH and the other hormones necessary to make reproduction happen. It is the least aggressive fertility medication available, and therefore the first step MDs take to treat infertility.

I think I know how you feel. When I first started TTC, I was really quite resistant to screwing with my hormones, because I appeared to be ovulating quite fine on my own. I dislike meds on principle, even generally avoid ibuprofen. But the clock was ticking kind of loudly because of my age (41). And now after more than a year of trying and with all the mishaps and challenges we've had along the way (surgeries, miscarriages, injectables, oh my!), clomid seems like no big deal whatsoever. I guess just because it's so mild and statistically effective.

So I resisted it at first, but then was really bummed when it stopped working for me (started screwing with my lining), and I had to move on to the stronger super expensive stuff genetically engineered inside hamster ovaries (yes, really).

Good luck, hope clomid works for you!

I'm not a doctor, but:

the quality of ovulation may mean "stronger" ovulation via enhanced follicular growth, improved rate of follicular maturation, and/or a multiple number of follicles released.

Clomid works on the pituitary, which in turn stimulates FSH and the other hormones necessary to make reproduction happen. It is the least aggressive fertility medication available, and therefore the first step MDs take to treat infertility.

I think I know how you feel. When I first started TTC, I was really quite resistant to screwing with my hormones, because I appeared to be ovulating quite fine on my own. I dislike meds on principle, even generally avoid ibuprofen. But the clock was ticking kind of loudly because of my age (41). And now after more than a year of trying and with all the mishaps and challenges we've had along the way (surgeries, miscarriages, injectables, oh my!), clomid seems like no big deal whatsoever. I guess just because it's so mild and statistically effective.

So I resisted it at first, but then was really bummed when it stopped working for me (started screwing with my lining), and I had to move on to the stronger super expensive stuff genetically engineered inside hamster ovaries (yes, really).

Good luck, hope clomid works for you!

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how I could be having issues with "weak" ovulation after having 4 natural pregnancies. Oh well, I guess our bodies are truly mysterious! After taking some time to think about it, Clomid doesn't seem as bad as it did originally. After 18 months, I guess I'll try almost anything. Truthfully, I'm worried the doc missed something and that we have zero chance of conceiving, and now we'll be bumping our heads against the wall for another 6 months. Anyway... thanks for the reply. It does help me feel better! :hugs:

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how I could be having issues with "weak" ovulation after having 4 natural pregnancies.

Egg quality and ovarian reserve just diminish as we age.

That said, I think it's just the first thing they try. Which, come to think of it, in my case, wasn't a good idea at all. An HSG (dye test) right out the gate would have saved me a few months time.

After a few rounds of clomid prescribed by the ob/gyn, I sought out an RE who diagnosed a problem which had nothing to do with ovulation (I had polyps). Clomid couldn't have helped me at that point in time. (It did help me after the polyps were treated.)

So who knows, doctors don't always know best. My ob is great, but the level of attention and expertise I get with my RE, re fertility, is really next level.

Is your doc an RE? Will you consider a second opinion on the clomid?

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how I could be having issues with "weak" ovulation after having 4 natural pregnancies.

Egg quality and ovarian reserve just diminish as we age.

That said, I think it's just the first thing they try. Which, come to think of it, in my case, wasn't a good idea at all. An HSG (dye test) right out the gate would have saved me a few months time.

After a few rounds of clomid prescribed by the ob/gyn, I sought out an RE who diagnosed a problem which had nothing to do with ovulation (I had polyps). Clomid couldn't have helped me at that point in time. (It did help me after the polyps were treated.)

So who knows, doctors don't always know best. My ob is great, but the level of attention and expertise I get with my RE, re fertility, is really next level.

Is your doc an RE? Will you consider a second opinion on the clomid?

Nope, he's an OB-GYN. However, up until you mentioned it I didn't even consider the possibility of having him refer me out. I'm not sure if Tricare will pay for it, but it's worth a shot. However, he did do an ultrasound which came up clean... which is surprising since I've had two D&C's to remove uterine polyps and just had one removed from my cervix 4 months ago. Thanks for the advice!! :hugs:

I was told the same thing after losing my first at 27 weeks, then a MMC, and a chemical. He put me on Letrozole (less side effects according to the doctor) to help get better follicles to support a pregnancy better. He says the risk of multiples is fairly low. This is my first cycle with it.

Neither the OB or the RE caught my polyps through ultrasounds. Just sayin'.

I just looked at your BBT chart, though, and is it me? or are you totally looking triphasic around the 14th? Won't congratulate you as I'd feel jinxed, but I'm thinking you may not be needing any clomid after all!

I just looked at your BBT chart, though, and is it me? or are you totally looking triphasic around the 14th? Won't congratulate you as I'd feel jinxed, but I'm thinking you may not be needing any clomid after all!

I've had completely triphasic cycles that were BFN. It's not necessarily a sign of pregnancy.

I've had completely triphasic cycles that were BFN. It's not necessarily a sign of pregnancy.

Ah, I thought it was a pretty good sign. Thanks for letting me know.

Hahaha.... I wish! Unfortunately, I have a really erratic sleeping pattern and I very rarely sleep 3 hours straight. While I'm happy they're higher than my pre-O temps, I'm not really sure how much I can rely on them. Plus... this cycle has been really weird.... almost no PMS symptoms to speak of. I have a feeling that since my temp has not dropped yet that I might be in for a long LP. But.... I'm not spotting yet, so I'm happy for that! Thanks for the vote of confidence! :hugs:

I was told the same thing after losing my first at 27 weeks, then a MMC, and a chemical. He put me on Letrozole (less side effects according to the doctor) to help get better follicles to support a pregnancy better. He says the risk of multiples is fairly low. This is my first cycle with it.

Let me know how that works for you. I may put Clomid off for one more cycle, as it turns out the hubby may be away the week I need him home. That gives me a little more time to think this through. I'd love to hear some stories though!!

I second what someone on the other page said, letrozole (femara) is gentler than clomid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->