Clomid Pros and Cons

FrenchieCA

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was just given a prescription for Clomid but wanted to ask a around for your personal experience before using it. Would love to know your thoughts on the following:

1. Why were you prescribed Clomid?

2. Did it work? How many cycles until BFP?

3. Any side effects?

4. Would you recommend it for someone with PCOS and TTC #1?

5. What are the CONS to trying it?

Any info would really help out! THANK YOU so so so much xoxox

A bit about me....

So after about 8 months now being off BCP, I still have yet to ovulate. I've been working with a naturopathic doctor and doing acupuncture. I am only able to have a period when using progesterone cream. After some blood work and a saliva panel, it seems that I have PCOS with estrogen dominance. I just had my first visit with a fertility clinic and was prescribed Clomid.

PCOS, I don't ovulate very much on my own.

1st cycle - BFP. Would have been a sticky but another issue developed. 3rd cycle - current BFP. :)

3. Any side effects?
I took it at night before bed so slept most of them off. Occasional hot flush, but the worst thing were moodswings. Really nothing that bad though.

YES!

Prolonged use can thin your lining.

PCOS causing long with no ovulation

First cycle I did not ovulate, second cycle I had a very week ovulation. I switched from Clomid to Fumera and ovulated both time getting a BFP on second cycle.

3. Any side effects?
Very moody and emotional, headache and hot flashes (Had no side effects on fumera)

Yes, it tends to work...just didn't for me.

Unnatural drugs in your body

GL! If it doesn't work for you I strongly recommend you discuss fumera with your doctor.

Irregular cycles due to PCOS

I just finished my 6th cycle, ovulated each cycle, but no bfp. I have other issues being diagnosed that is impacting implantation :cry:

3. Any side effects?
HOT FLASHES!!! Luckily, only at night. Usually start three pills in and last for a few days after stopping. If you chart bbt then you'll probably notice higher temps while on clomid and for a few days after stopping.

Yes, it will help with ovulating :)

For me, just the hot flashes really. I didn't experience much of the mood issues. It actually helped control my migraines that were connected to hormonal imbalance. Bonus!!

I'm really glad I tried clomid even though I don't have my bfp yet. It regulated my cycles and I don't have to stress out wondering if I'll o at cd 16 or cd49! :happydance:

Luteal phase defect (8-10 day luteal phase) and low progesterone after ovulation.

Yes! First cycle of 50mg. I also had progesterone supplements and a trigger shot for ovulation.

3. Any side effects?
Hot flashes, nothing major.

Yes, I don't have PCOS but it seems that a lot of people with it have success with clomid.

No cons! After over a year of trying and frustration, it was amazing to get a baby. I'm so glad we went with clomid.

PCOS, no ovulation, 3.5 years of TTC with no success.

I havent gotten a BFP yet, but its taken about 7 months for me to find the correct dosage that allowed me to ovulate. I started ovulating last month. This is my second cycle with ovulation

3. Any side effects?
I had no side effects until I hit the "correct" doseage. Now while I am taking the clomid and usually the day after I have really bad hot flashes and I get wwwwaaaayyy weepy.

Since I have PCOS and am TTC #1 I'd say yes. :thumbup:

If your not ovulating, it might take you a while to find the right dose. My dr upped by dose almost every other month. But a PRO is I've been regular on the clomid for the first time in my life and not being on BC. I can set a clock to my cycle now. I know my period will come on day #35. I've never had that before.

I love this post I am about to start my first cycle in a week or so on provera right now.

After 17 months of TTC with 2 MC, we decided to take action.
(unexplained infertility)

I'm on cycle 1, 100mg. FX
(I'll update in a few days!)

3. Any side effects?
I took it in the morning, only a few hot flashes, cramps.

I have heard a lot of success stories from women with PCOS!

Like said above- unnatural drugs in your body. I have also heard it thins out the lining, but that didn't affect me.

Hi Frenchie,

Just a quick note, I came off BC 4 months ago and still haven't ovulated and have PCOS. I decided to look into how the imbalance of hormones is caused in PCOS and try to correct it. If it doesn't work, I am going to try Clomid in May.

Anyway, the point is, lots of foods can worsen your PCOS, such as white carbs. Soy mimics oestrogen and makes PCOS worse. Perhaps it is worth looking into your diet too?

Thanks everyone for your advice and input!! I finally was able to start Clomid this cycle. I am now on CD14 and had my first ever positive OPK yesterday. I know OPK can't confirm ovulation, but keeping fingers crossed!!

Is it strange that I am concerned that I did not have any side effects? Part of me thinks if I did not have any side effects then it is not working.... Pretty illogical on my part, but this whole process makes me crazy, so....

Good luck to everyone! And for those who are starting or still taking Clomid, keep us updated ;)

Hi Frenchie,

Just a quick note, I came off BC 4 months ago and still haven't ovulated and have PCOS. I decided to look into how the imbalance of hormones is caused in PCOS and try to correct it. If it doesn't work, I am going to try Clomid in May.

Anyway, the point is, lots of foods can worsen your PCOS, such as white carbs. Soy mimics oestrogen and makes PCOS worse. Perhaps it is worth looking into your diet too?

Thank you for this. Similar to my story. I started seeing a naturopathic doctor after being off BCP for 3 months a no af. I worked with her to determine the hormonal imbalance and to go over some lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc). It was determined that I have PCOS, so after about 8 months of trying to do things naturally, I gave Clomid a try.

I thought it would be best to not put more drugs into my system, but the stress of no ovulating and taking tons of herbal supplements with no results was getting to me. Good luck!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->