Clomid question re:overstimulation

LucyStars

Reaction score
I was put on clomid 100mg because while it doesn't seem like I have issues Oing, DH has some male factor and we were going to do IUI this cycle.
In the past I have done clomid and been successful but I was anovulatory to begin with whereas currently i O on my own.
Well my fear came true and we had 7+ eggs all 18mm or larger :omg: We had to cancel this cycle. I just never thought I would be the one to overstim.

Anyway to my question-
She is putting me on 50mg and I am still nervous about too many eggs. I really dont want to move forward with 4 or more eggs. I have in the past (7 follicles from injectables) but it was different then and we built up to it. My gut is freaking out about the idea of having a bunch of babies on accident. I have no idea why now when I have done IF treatments in the past and not worried.
So does it sound like I will overstim again if I cut the dose in half? I was thinking of maybe doing 25mg but I hardly ever hear of that little and I wonder if it would be worth it?

I am really sorry this is my first post and I come in asking questions. I really thought I could do it on my own this time but I could really use someone to bounce thoughts and ideas off of and we have been trying for about a year now. I am also just trying to find a friendly place and where I fit esp. since I am TTC#3 and I know that upsets some who haven't had even one.

hi luckystars! im somewhat new here too but wanted to send you lots of :hugs:...I know this process can be EXTREMELY frustrating! we have been TTC#2 for a year now and I am currently on my 1st cycle of 50mg clomid (CD14). i have completely unexplained infertility too, ovulate on my own, uterus looks clean and healthy and blood work always comes back looking fine.

todays scan showed 5 follicles all 16mm and larger but i haven't yet ovulated. i go back in tomorrow for another scan but my doctor seems happy with these results (no mention of overstimulation). so i would try the 50mg. if it doesn't work then you know you will probably need to go down to 25mg (if thats even an option, i've never heard of it).

i ask a lot of questions too, so don't ever apologize for asking questions. thats what these boards are all about!! :winkwink:

Aw thanks so much!
So do you have an idea of how many follicles are too many for your doctor? What about for you?
I am bummed and like I said, I tried last time with 7 follicles but we built up to it.
Seems like we are pretty rare to have so many eggs. Your doctor didn't seem concerned?
My doctor did say she is very reserved so maybe that is what it is...
Now if I can just get through this cycle and try again!

Good luck to you! I am eager to hear how it goes for you!!

so, 7/2, we triggered ovulation. yesterday, i went in for an IUI. i think if i had 7 that were growing at the exact same rate, that would have concerned my doctor. but since they were all growing at different rates, there wasn't much need for concern. this is my first time with any of this so i relied on my doctors opinion a lot during the process, and he really seemed happy with the number and size of the follicles.

i'll be happy with any healthy babies i can get at this point. with that being said, im a fairly petite person (5.6 and 110 lbs) so i doubt my body could handle any more than twins.

i'm going to stay positive through this cycle and hope that my body does what it needs and God heard all my millions of prayers and our family will finally grow so we can give siblings to my son.

good luck getting through the rest of your cycle!

Oh I cant wait to hear your results!! Please reply here when you know!
++++++++++++++ THOUGHTS!!!!!!!!!!

I have a similar issue, but on letrozole rather than clomid.

Every doctor is different, regarding how many is too many, and the point at which a cycle will be cancelled. I know there is one lady on here who had 7 and was due an IUI which was cancelled, and got pregnant without any further intervention and is only carrying one...so it definitely doesn't always mean that it will result in a multiple birth! I think most will be happy to go ahead if there are up to three follies.

As for cutting your dose down...normally, it will stop you from over stimulating. However, when I had my dose halved I went from overstimming to not responding at all, which resulted in being put back up to the dose I overstimmed on in the first place!

I think that the reason cycles like that are cancelled is because of the risks associated. You have to remember that all these drugs are causing (albeit small amounts) of damage to your body, so it's best to only use the minimum dose you need. It's definitely worth trying out a lower dose. You can always try a different drug, or a slightly different dose if it's not right :thumbup:

hi .. i just came across this thread and thought i wud share my experience with clomid too .. the first cycle i was prescribed 50mg and by CD10 i had a 2.7cm follicle .. so my doc cut down the dose and prescribed 25mg of clomid .. and on CD11 my follicle was 2.3cm .. this is the third cycle and i havent used any clomid this time .. just letting nature take care of it .. and see whether i am able to grow big enough follicles on my own .. before taking clomid my follicles were small .. but i ovulated on my own ..

this whole TTC business is so stressful .. waiting for everything .. then getting hopeful .. thinking it worked this time .. and then rock bottom with every BFN :((

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->