Clomid, Zika, Mexico in December?

rickyandlucy

Reaction score
I just finished a cycle of Clomid to try and reset my system after one extremely long cycle (that only ended when my doc put me on progesterone). So now, hopefully ovulation day is coming and DH and I want to TTC. But we have a zika dilemma.

My husband is from Mexico, and we already have flights booked to go visit his family at the end of December/early January. If we are successful TTC, I would be about 3 months pregnant. Cancelling the trip isn't really an option; other people are going with us and they can't go alone.

Our choices are, TTC now and if we get pregnant just be really careful in Mexico, or wait awhile after our trip to TTC. I am so tired of waiting though. I don't know exactly why but waiting another 3-4 months to try just seems so impossible.

If we get pregnant and we go to Mexico, his hometown is in the less than 5,000 ft sea level zone. So that's a risk. But, it's December/January. So although still warm, def not prime mosquito season I would think. Long sleeves, pants, permethrin and deet? Thoughts ladies?

I personally wouldn't risk it. If you got bit you'd be terrified and if the worst did happen you'd never forgive yourself. There is a certain period after you've been exposed you have to wait too so it could be a long wait.

I wouldn't risk it either Hun. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about Zika and see what she says?

I would say talk to your dr. Although Zika is fairly new to the US, it's been around much longer, and plenty of pregnant women have had it. Now, I do know of the risks, but you hear all the negative and none if the positive. Follow me? 98% of babies born to women with the virus are born healthy.

Now, I completely understand why waiting a few more months is just not an option. When you've been trying for a long time, you don't want to miss this cycle, because it could be "the one". If it were me, I'd still try. But that's just me, and not the right decision for everyone.

However, if you decide to try, and it does happen, you may want to consider using deet as a last resort...on you that is. By all means, if you're going to be sitting poolside in a back yard, go around the perimeter with that can and spray the living daylights out if it. Citronella essential oil can help as well. If you Google homemade mosquito repellents you will find some pretty amazing concoctions that actually work. Skeeter is amazing! If you can find it, take a bottle of that with you!

Good luck!

Reviving this thread:
The latest CDC guidelines say the man should wait 6 months after returning from a zika hot zone before trying to conceive, even without symptoms?? That seems extreme. We aren't sure what to do, and I can't seem to get a straight answer from my doc's office.

Should we go ahead and try to get pregnant now and just cancel the trip if we are successful? Of course even if I am pregnant I could just go and be careful, but I am a worrier. If I was actually pregnant I don't think my anxiety could handle going, I would be worried about every little itch.

Or should we hold off on TTC, take the trip, and get tested when we get back? Problem with that is that it seems like they won't do testing if you aren't pregnant and not having symptoms though. Please help! So conflicted. :(

One thing is for sure, I do not think I could handle waiting SIX MONTHS after we got back. That's just too big an ask, lol.

I think only you can make that decision. I personally wouldn't. Loads of uk athletes dropped out of the olympics due to the risk so it's s very real concern and not just a few people being paranoid

Six months is extreme. Dh and i chose not to risk it when i went in March. We waited one month before ( i tested) and three after. I understand not wanting to miss a cycle, we often wondered if it was our miracle month that we ignored.

Reviving this thread yet again. Another month, another AF. So at this point I don't think we will be TTC before our trip anymore.

Does anyone have any experience with freezing a sperm sample? Waiting 6 months after we get back is just so extreme. So I was thinking about asking our doctor about having a sperm sample frozen before we leave, and then perhaps trying IUI about 8 weeks after we get back from our trip (8 weeks is the current guideline for women).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->