Cloth Nappies... probably a load of silly questions

emyandpotato

Reaction score
I've decided that after the first few weeks I'm gonna switch to cloth nappies but pretty much clueless about them! Can anyone recommend any brands/types and where to get them? Also are they safety pinned shut or taped like disposables are? And how many on average would I need? Oh and is it okay to just throw them in the washing machine or do they need special washing powder/to be soaked first etc? Sorry, really did mean clueless :blush:

here is a list of many of ther FAQ :)

https://www.babyandbump.com/natural...er-co-sleeping-guides-faqs-abbreviations.html

I've decided that after the first few weeks I'm gonna switch to cloth nappies but pretty much clueless about them! Can anyone recommend any brands/types and where to get them?

There really isn't a best brand (although I could probably mention a few not to touch with a bargepole!) Everyone has different life styles, different facilities, different reasons for wanting to se cloth, and different shaped babies, so it's a bot like shoes really - it's a very individual thing.

Also are they safety pinned shut or taped like disposables are?

You can choose whether you get applix (velcro) fastening, popper fastening or nippa fastening ones. Nippas have replced pins, so you never need to use pins any more!

And how many on average would I need?

I always recommend as a guide, 20 nappies and 5 waterproofs, but it depends how quickly you can get them dry.

Oh and is it okay to just throw them in the washing machine or do they need special washing powder/to be soaked first etc?

Yes, just throw them in the machine, but use very little detergent, or better still something like ecoballs. Wash at 40º if you ue a bio powder, and 60º if you use a non bio. That's it really! They don't need soaking, although it's a good idea to do a pre rinse in the machine, before you do the actual wash load. Just do a prewash programme, but without any powder in the prewash
draw. Oh and no soft rinse.

Sorry, really did mean clueless :blush:

Wouldn't expect anyone to know all this if you're completely new to it, so don't :blush: ! Rather feel proud for asking!

Can anyone recommend any brands/types and where to get them?Its rather individual as to what works best for you and your baby id try out a few types, ie a couple of pockets, aio's, 2 part combos(nappy plus wrap, can be fitted nappies or flat or prefold )and see what you like and works best, i would look at a trial pack made up of different types, "fill-your-pants" do one and i know other stores do too
Also are they safety pinned shut or taped like disposables are? Nappies come in 3 main fastening types now theres no pins involved thank goodness, Poppers which are plastic dome kinda things, velcro/aplix and Nippa ( which is a plastic thing with hook bits on the ends that grab onto the nappy )
And how many on average would I need?depends what type ur using and how often you plan to wash, i wash every 2-3 days and have 19 nappies plus some prefolds which are emergancy use lol
Oh and is it okay to just throw them in the washing machine or do they need special washing powder/to be soaked first etc?its fine to put them straight in the machine with standard non bio u will want to only use 1/3 -1/4 of the amount recomended on the box though or you could use eco balls instead, of course you will want to rinse off any poo that isnt liquid into the toilet but after that i store my nappies in a lidded bucket till wash day with no water

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->