Cloth Nappies... probably a load of silly questions

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by emyandpotato, Mar 29, 2011.

1. emyandpotato

emyandpotato Well-Known Member

I've decided that after the first few weeks I'm gonna switch to cloth nappies but pretty much clueless about them! Can anyone recommend any brands/types and where to get them? Also are they safety pinned shut or taped like disposables are? And how many on average would I need? Oh and is it okay to just throw them in the washing machine or do they need special washing powder/to be soaked first etc? Sorry, really did mean clueless :blush:

2. celine

celine Well-Known Member

3. LittlePants

LittlePants Well-Known Member

Wouldn't expect anyone to know all this if you're completely new to it, so don't :blush: ! Rather feel proud for asking!

4. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend any brands/types and where to get them?Its rather individual as to what works best for you and your baby id try out a few types, ie a couple of pockets, aio's, 2 part combos(nappy plus wrap, can be fitted nappies or flat or prefold )and see what you like and works best, i would look at a trial pack made up of different types, "fill-your-pants" do one and i know other stores do too
    Also are they safety pinned shut or taped like disposables are? Nappies come in 3 main fastening types now theres no pins involved thank goodness, Poppers which are plastic dome kinda things, velcro/aplix and Nippa ( which is a plastic thing with hook bits on the ends that grab onto the nappy )
    And how many on average would I need?depends what type ur using and how often you plan to wash, i wash every 2-3 days and have 19 nappies plus some prefolds which are emergancy use lol
    Oh and is it okay to just throw them in the washing machine or do they need special washing powder/to be soaked first etc?its fine to put them straight in the machine with standard non bio u will want to only use 1/3 -1/4 of the amount recomended on the box though or you could use eco balls instead, of course you will want to rinse off any poo that isnt liquid into the toilet but after that i store my nappies in a lidded bucket till wash day with no water