• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cloth nappy help - red marks :(

xQuinnx

Reaction score
Today was my first full day of using cloth nappies (I've been building up a little stash over the last couple of weeks).
I've got a couple of cheapies, a couple of Alvas although they don't say that on the label but were sold as such o_O and some bumgenius. All of the nappies so far are pocket nappies.
Today my little girl has had red marks/indents on her back or tops of her legs or round her legs or sometimes all the above :( I've tried adjusting the rise and the side but even when the nappy feels really lose the marks still happen. I'll try and get some pics to show.

I'm feeling a little disheartened and I'm not sure what to do. I'm tempted to try different styles but my husband and family are reluctant as it is and I doubt they will be willing to try anything else but I guess that's another matter.

Anyone had this? How did you resolve it? My daughter doesn't seem bothered but it can't be right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 20
I think the only way to completely avoid red marks is to use unelasticated (flat or terry) nappies and wool soakers or longies.

They're perfectly harmless, no different than the indents that socks, bras, underwear and pant waistbands leave on everyone :thumbup:

Thank you. Going to keep at it and see how we get along, also signed up for our local councils nappy lending scheme to try different types (and to try and get my husband to try them!).

Littlepants this is probably a silly question but do wool soakers etc work well on older babies too?

Thank you. Going to keep at it and see how we get along, also signed up for our local councils nappy lending scheme to try different types (and to try and get my husband to try them!).

Littlepants this is probably a silly question but do wool soakers etc work well on older babies too?

Yes they work for anyone in nappies - even adults. Much more comfortable and cooler than PUL, and actually more efficient as well.

There's a thread somewhere explaining how wool works. I'll try to find it and bump it for you

They're perfectly harmless, no different than the indents that socks, bras, underwear and pant waistbands leave on everyone :thumbup:

I agree from the pic it looks harmless like messica above said.

I'd worry if they looked an angry red, or had a speckled appearance like a rash. This could mean the nappy isn't absorbing quick enough and the urine is flowing to the elasticated edges where it sits against the skin.

Thank you :)

I'm persisting with the little stash I have (8 in total at the moment). It's going better today, not as many red marks except for one nappy so may still need to play with the fit or maybe it's not right for little one yet. Thank you for the advice :)

I prefer origami folded flats and wool for this reason. Baby #2 was quite chubby, and at 8 months old she was too round for the size large diapers that had fit her older brother at 2 1/2 years old. I had no money to experiment and happened across someone online using receiving blankets as flats and fell in love. I had been gifted about 30 of them, so the transition was free, I just had to learn to knit, which came surprisingly easily.

I have just been starting to look at flats and prefolds. This is maybe a stupid question but do any nappy covers go over prefolds etc? As long as they fit your baby? Is it cheaper for a stash of those then pockets?

Well, we use knitted wool pants or skirts or shorts on our babies, but lots of covers work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->