Cloth Nappy Recommendations

Twag

Mummy to Elliot & Izzy <3
Reaction score
So we tried cloth nappies with DS we used G-nappies and did not get on with them they marked his skin, hard to use, leaked generally not for us so I sold my whole stash! and we use disposable for him!

So we are pregnant with #2 and thinking cloth again but more newborn to potty type but I am stumped as to what to try :shrug: :wacko:

Any recommendations would be appreciated :thumbup:

Thank you :flower:

I don't have experience yet, as I will be a ftm but I bought the Kawaii brand inserts and covers. Ive heard nothing but good things about them and they are cheaper than bumgenious etc

I'm in a lot of cloth diaper groups on Facebook and the favorites seem to be Grovia, BumGenius, and Thirsties covers with prefolds or flats.
A lot also use Alvas, Sunbaby, etc since they're from China and cheap.

Fuzzibunz, Funky Fluff and Charlie Banana are also pretty popular.

there are also a lot of buy/sell/trade groups on there and you can get a lot of preowned one for pretty cheap so you can figure out what you like.

IMO the very best thing for the first few months is 50cm bamboo terry squares. They are still absolutely the most efficient nappies available, always fit well, wash easily, dry quickly and are pretty well the only thing which can really be used from birth to potty, as they can be used later as inserts and boosters, once that are outgrown as nappies in their own right. Most people think they are difficult to put on, but they really aren't. It takes about 2 minutes of practise to master this fold
Really well worth considering.

Thank you ladies I will have a look on Facebook :thumbup:

pre folds of terrys squares with wraps. I never used cloth from newborn with my first she was 4 months old when we made the move over.
This time i plan from day 1, have just ordered some newborn g's for the hospital and am then hoping to move on to prefolds and terries.

Are you asking for systems or brands?

I have a stash of flats with covers. Got some Kawaii covers and ordered some LBB/Alva covers.

Systems & brands just not sure what is best to go with I need something that is easy so DH and my mother can use them, something that can be tumble dried and that isn't prone to leaking! Also something that isn't too expensive and from birth to potty so guess an all in one type?

Like I said we used Gnappies but we didn't get on with them as they marked my DS bottom and leaked a lot!! but we are keen to try something else for #2

The only problem with btp is that they can be massive on a newborn although a friends of mine recommended close nappies from birth.

Best birth to potty ones I have found are bambooty basics :)

I have my 2 and a half year old and my 8month old in them at the minute and they for them both lovely.
I also have a large amount of Alvababy birth to potty nappies in my stash. I use these with a microfibre insert and a bamboo booster and they are also good for both children. They take longer to dry after washing than the bambooty as the bamboo boosters take forever to dry unless it's a really warm day xx

Bambooty can be tumble dried on low and Iv always tumble dried my others in emergencies and they're fine. A lot of my alvababy nappies are from when DS1 was in them so have lasted the distance!
All my 3 have been in nursery with those two brands of nappies and they have managed fine with them as have grandparents and a clueless husband :haha:

Systems & brands just not sure what is best to go with I need something that is easy so DH and my mother can use them, something that can be tumble dried and that isn't prone to leaking! Also something that isn't too expensive and from birth to potty so guess an all in one type?

All in Ones are really expensive!
I think you'd like fitteds though! Or a pocket system. They aren't all in one but can be tumbled and are much cheaper than AIOs.

Sometimes leaking is caused by detergent/washing habits too or so I hear.

All in Ones are really expensive!
I think you'd like fitteds though! Or a pocket system. They aren't all in one but can be tumbled and are much cheaper than AIOs.

Sometimes leaking is caused by detergent/washing habits too or so I hear.

Yes that is what I meant lol the fitteds or pocket system ones :thumbup:

The G nappies just couldn't contain the volume of newborn pee and poop so many explosions and full changes of clothes! once we changed to disposables it never happened again!! so it was definately the cloth nappies we were using just not compatible with my son :shrug: shame as they were cute

A 2 part system is so much more efficient than pockets or AIO's and for containment of poosplosions, really the only thing that is reliable for the first few months. Cotton terries are great, economical, can be tumbled, boil washed - generally abused as much as you like, and are absolutely super efficient, and dry quickly. Slightly bulkier than bamboo, but they do the job just as well. OK, not so easy for people who are only used to disposables (although simple enough once you've spent a couple of minutes practising) But if you use them as the base for your stash, and just add a few AIO's (the Nature Babies Little Britain is the best newborn size pocket, and great value for a quality pocket IMO) for the babysitter, or other people who may change a nappy, then you'll have a budget stash which meets all your needs

I echo the above, but I use brushrd cotton flats as terry flats aren't really a thing to br found in New Zealand unless you sew your own. I have some very simple terry fitted nappies from tots bots (they are getting really old now) and they are really rough when dry, so I do prefer brushed cotton/flannelette. Bamboo flats are fab.

Thanks ladies all something to look into too! I may trawl about the internet see if I can get a few cheap second hand to try out see which we like best :thumbup:

If you go with pre-folds for the NB stage you could get some fitteds too. Those will be easier for husbands and grandmas :) My DH actually prefers pre-folds to any other diaper though. They really aren't hard to fold.

Ii don't have first hand experience yet, but from my months of research I have chosen Softbums as our cloth diaper, with super bamboo inserts (called 'pods')

The nappy (called a 'shell') is a birth to toddler (4lb to 35lb+) so great for newborns. They have 2 nappy choices, echo and omni. Omni has a pocket to be stuffed and is a bit wider. Echo can't be stuffed but is trimmer so better for newborns, but alot of people have used both from birth to toddler, not making much difference. If you don't stuff the omni or echo, it can be used numerous times providing no poop or pee gets on the 'shell'. So better for washing etc.

They have a choice of inserts which clip in, such as small medium large microfibre or bamboo, or super pods. I went for the super pods as they come with a mini pod on top, great for newborns, and the long pod which can be made small medium or large! So a great all in one pod and hopefully wont need to buy any different ones or sizes birth to toddler.

The shells also have velcro or popper closing on the front.

The only issue I have found is UK suppliers, there is only 1. Its a US company so I have had to ship from there. And they are so popular there can be a lack of stock for a while.

But worth it!

My order of Bambino Mio cloth nappies arrived today (on offer) so I am going to try these they are an newborn to potty type but they also do the 2 part system which I may get a few off too to try :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->