Clothing: Newborn vs 0-3

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
I've done a quick search online, but wanted to get all your opinions as well.

What sized baby fits a newborn, and what sized baby should go straight into 0-3? :shrug:

In my experience, newborn clothes are approximately for babies 5-8 lbs where as 0-3 go from 8-12 lbs. Though I know length/height can be a factor as well. My son has always been on the skinnier side but he's pretty tall and so in some all in one pieces we'd sometimes have to go bigger for the length than what it suggested for his weight. Also depending on the brand of the clothes, the size and lengths vary. So if you are going to buy clothes, I'd also look at the brand and what their weight/length guidlines are. Good Luck! :thumbup:

We've bought a few newborn bits and then mainly 0-3 stuff. The newborn bits all go up to 10lbs and the 0-3 up to 14lbs. However if baby takes after my side of the family we may have to pick up some tiny baby outfits too. My brother's kids were all 6lb-ers and the newborn clothes drowned them. The biggest baby on my side of the family has been 6lb 8oz.

I have some newborn that do 9-11lbs. We bought a few but mainly 0-3 months.

I can't remember what sizes we got for my son because a lot of it was either hand me downs for free bundles from freecycle. But i do remember him looking huge when he was born. Even in photos he looked big. The midwives told me he wouldn't fit in newborn clothing and we would have to see if they had any bigger sizes there as i think we only had newborn with us. I was adamant i wanted him in the clothes we got for him. Turns out newborn was actually pretty big on him. He just looked big.

This time we have a few newborn things. And then quite a lot of 0-3 months. My thinking, is that even though i have it in my head that this baby will be smaller then my son. We will take a newborn outfit for baby to come home in and a couple new born body suits along with a couple 0-3 body suits. Either way then you're covered. Chances are, when baby is here you will be given some clothing as gifts and will know the sizes better by then. :)

As someone else said the length of the baby matters as much as their weight. I had bought a few newborn items and mostly 0-3 as everyone said the smaller stuff wouldn't get much use, and the hospital had said many times that the baby would be large.

He came in under 7lbs and we had to buy him tiny baby sized clothes. He then was in newborn until 14 weeks so we got plenty of use from the smaller items. This time I'll be buying a selection of newborn and first size.

With DD I bought mostly 0-3 month as I thought she wouldn't be in newborn long. Newborn ended up being big on her and she was 7lbs 8ozs. She fit in newborn for a long time and 0-3 month was massive on her.
This time I've bought a few more newborn bits, especially without feet.

My son fitted into newborn until he was 5 weeks and weighed 11 pounds (the label said up to 9 lbs though) you also get clothes in some shops for up to 1 month which fit well.

My daughter fit in newborn sizes until she was about 3-4 weeks, personally I think putting baby straight into 0-3 months looks a bit daft as the sleepsuit is to big so the leg bit is flapping about because their legs don't fill it yet lol this time I've bought 7 newborn sleepsuits and 7 newborn vests... No outfits as 9 X out of 10 newborn outfits never get used, and everything else in 0-3 and 3-6 months :)

We bought all 0 -3 month clothes for callum as we were told he'd be 8lbs but he was only 5lb 13oz so we had to run out and buy lots of newborn stuff! He was in that for about 6 weeks I think. Will definitely be buying a variety of sizes this time! Xx

My baby Girl was 9lbs 9.5oz and was quite long at 59cm...she never ever fitted newborn! Straight to 0-3

Needless to say il be buying no newborn stuff this time

I agree with Louise.....I won't buy newborn outfits as baby will prob always be in a sleep suit for first weeks.

Sizes will all depend on baby's size....anything over 8.5lbs I'd forget about newborn sizes and check the shop labels are they will indicate max weights etc

Oh, goodness! I'm completely not sure of what to do...

Baby girl is due in February... and I live in DC so it'll be freezing! I figure she'll need stuff to bundle up in, but I'll probably want that to last...

BUT she's measuring below average now... and DH and I were both small babies...

Basically I have no idea what to buy for this child.

DD was 8lb3 born and on 75th centile in length I took newborn to hospital but did have a bag of 0-3 at home on hand just in case but she was in newborn for around 6 weeks, this time were having twins and I don't have clue were to start this time lol x

I would personally never buy 0-3 for a newborn, my 8lb 9 baby fit in tiny baby size and size 0 nappies for the first couple of weeks and my 7lb 4 (down to 6lb 1) was in tiny baby and newborn til 3 months!
I won't even be buying 0-3 til the baby is born this time as were staying team yellow so ill just get a few tiny baby and newborn bits x

I would personally never buy 0-3 for a newborn, my 8lb 9 baby fit in tiny baby size and size 0 nappies for the first couple of weeks and my 7lb 4 (down to 6lb 1) was in tiny baby and newborn til 3 months!
I won't even be buying 0-3 til the baby is born this time as were staying team yellow so ill just get a few tiny baby and newborn bits x

Sounds like I'm gonna want to buy mostly newborn stuff at first, then. I was a 6 lb baby, DH was a 5 lb baby... currently LO is measuring in the 40th percentile.

But I think I'll register for cute outfits in 0 to 3... that way, if people want to buy me cute stuff, she'll be able to wear them when spring rolls around.

Just to let you know my son is now 13 weeks and size 3-6 months is getting tight on his top half (still fits on his legs)
So I would try and get people to buy you clothes in bigger sizes too. I only bought newborn 0-3 or 3-6 as I wanted to see him wear it soon after I bought it. But now im facing putting him in age 6-9 at only 3 months old and I dont have too many of that size. They go through the sizes sooo quickly ( well my one has anyway) so id maybe register for bigger sizes to

My son was 6lbs 2oz so was a small baby. Newborn clothes just drowned him so he was in tiny baby clothes for a good month. Then we moved on to newborn - and it depends where you get the stuff from. Baby Gap comes up tiny, Next is probably about right and M&S come up quite big in my opinion.

I have in my hospital bag tiny baby, newborn and 0-3 months clothes. My son was still wearing 0-3 months when he was about 5 months and by then, he had definitely made up for lost time and was an average baby weight x

My son was 7lb 14oz and fitted in newborn so I have bought a few sleepsuits in that size, cant remember how long they lasted mind!

well my 2 month old is in 6.9 month already and basically went right past everything to 3.6 when born. New born never fitted any of my children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->