Cluster Feeding: Is this normal?

TriChick

Mom-Wife-Triathlete:)
Reaction score
LO is 11 days old, born at 37+1. He has fed well since day 1. He lost 8oz initially (was born at 6lbs. 4oz.), but was back up to birth weight after 9 days. The past 2 days he has been nursing non-stop from around 5pm until at least 1am. My milk appears to be keeping up (able to squeeze out a little out while he is nursing from the other), but he won't go for more than a couple minutes without rooting like he is starving and screaming until he is latched back on:( I know they cluster feed, but is 8+ hours normal??

Forgot to add, his diaper output is normal. Any advice is appreciated!

I'd say anything is normal at that age, lol. I would't worry about it though. He is probably sending messages to your body to make more milk. When LO did feeding marathons I always noticed an increase in my supply within 24hrs and she would let up. Sometimes babies just suck for comfort too.

I'd say normal. Week two my dd was feeding constantly between 5pm and 10pm and then between 2am and 5pm.

Didn't last many days - maybe a week?

Thanks for the reassurance ladies, I appreciate it:) Lol the things they don't tell you about BFing!

Yes, definitely. Mine used to feed from 10pm-7am like clockwork. It's tough but will improve with time. :)

Totally - Anything goes! Grab yourself lots of snacks, bottles of water/cans of pop/cup of tea, television remote and some pillows and camp out for the evening xx

Totally - Anything goes! Grab yourself lots of snacks, bottles of water/cans of pop/cup of tea, television remote and some pillows and camp out for the evening xx

Good advice. A stretchy wrap or sling that you can feed in does wonders for some too.

Netflix has been a Godsend

Definitely normal. As long as he's not bringing a bunch up after then all is fine.

I remember you from the 3rd Trimester group! Congrats! I delivered 2 weeks ago and just wanted to let you know that mine also does cluster feeding sometimes, especially after the 7-10 day mark and sometimes it does last several hours, though I get too tired to really time it. It's not every day for me, but when it happens it drives me crazy--I keep a book by my side for those times, and surf the Internet if I'm close to my computer. I've noticed my milk supply increasing too, which is nice.

Also have a cluster feeder, she is gaining weight fantastically but no wonder as she is attached to my boobs from 5-10 pm then back again till midnight. Last night she went from 2am - 7am. I know it's very normal but my poor nipples need a break ;) xxx

Thanks everyone, makes me feel like I'm not alone lol:) I've definitely updated the Netix queue! And thanks Chocolate, congrats to you as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->