cluster feeding madness.. anyone else had this??

thayet

Reaction score
Honestly I am just about to lose the plot here.. has anyone else's LO displayed this sort of feeding pattern?

He will nurse non stop from when he wakes up (6am ish) - and by non stop, I mean the most I get in between feeds is about 20 minutes. Feedings last anywhere from 30 minutes (he falls asleep) to an hour plus. We're using a shield due to nasty sores and I have supply issues.

After doing this all day, he falls asleep around 6 or 7pm and will stay asleep until midnight or so. We do another feed and he'll give me another hour or two and then we do the whole. thing. over. again.

I know there's a growth spurt at 6 weeks, but this has been going on FOR A WEEK and he turns 6 weeks old today. When does it stop?? Cross-posted this to baby club for any and all support... TIA.

cluster feeding is normal, he is trying to up your supply. And you just have to ride it out. I used my ring sling for feeding in when my LO was in her clusterfeeding stage. then I could have hands free to do other things while she constantly fed.

You said you have sores and supply issues........have you had your LO checked for tongue tie? I know that I had low supply and really sore nipples because my LO had tongue tie so she couldn't suck properly. You might want to check into it if you haven't already.

If you think you have supply issues there are supplements and things you can take that are supposed to help. You can take fenugreek and blessed thistle........3 of each 3 times per day. You should smell like maple syrup. You can buy mothers milk tea and I have heard that drinking Gatorade can help as well.

cluster feeding is normal, he is trying to up your supply. And you just have to ride it out. I used my ring sling for feeding in when my LO was in her clusterfeeding stage. then I could have hands free to do other things while she constantly fed.

You said you have sores and supply issues........have you had your LO checked for tongue tie? I know that I had low supply and really sore nipples because my LO had tongue tie so she couldn't suck properly. You might want to check into it if you haven't already.

If you think you have supply issues there are supplements and things you can take that are supposed to help. You can take fenugreek and blessed thistle........3 of each 3 times per day. You should smell like maple syrup. You can buy mothers milk tea and I have heard that drinking Gatorade can help as well.

The sores are a result of flat nipples and poor latch early on - LO has no tongue tie. I'm taking the herbs, and domperidone 3x a day - the Gatorade is a good idea though. I don't know what else I can do to up my supply. I can't pump because we're constantly nursing anyways. I eat enough and I get some sleep each night.

If I could just know that this cluster feeding will end, I'll stick with BFing.. but I have a sinking feeling LO is not satisfied with my supply and this is the new normal. :(

hi ladies , my lo is 8 weeks tomorrow and we went through this . Is baby gaining weight and if so then just ride it out . some babys use the boob as a comfort as well as food (i know mine does). I go to a bf group and that really helps as mums all have the same isues at different times . I remember at 6 weeks my nipples still really hurt due to poor latching in the begining . xx

Yes it will stop :) My girl did it for a week then, decided to sleep 9 hours, I woke up in a puddle :)

I just experienced this all of last week. It was ROUGH, to say the least. There is an end in sight!!

hi ladies , my lo is 8 weeks tomorrow and we went through this . Is baby gaining weight and if so then just ride it out . some babys use the boob as a comfort as well as food (i know mine does). I go to a bf group and that really helps as mums all have the same isues at different times . I remember at 6 weeks my nipples still really hurt due to poor latching in the begining . xx

He is gaining, yes, and we have a weekly support group too - without that I'd be going absolutely insane! I was just hoping by now it would hurt less, but I'm still pretty sore (we are battling thrush as well so it's been an uphill battle). Nothing can heal until he's not nursing all morning and afternoon and part of the evening nonstop!

my lo fed like that for a month or so. she does a lot of comfort sucking. i had cracked and blistered nipples, and got mastitis a couple of times. it does stop and get MUCH better eventually. hang in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->