Cluster feeding... What is normal?? When is it a sign of low supply?

Itsychik

Reaction score
As title says, what is normal when it comes to cluster feeding? Do babies feed all day or typically at certain times?

And how long does this phase generally last?? And when is it an indication of a low supply and not just normal cluster feeding?

And any tips for satisfing a cluster feeding infant while trying to look after a toddler as well? :wacko:

My LO would feed most of the day, never more than 1-2 hours between feeds. But she would literally not come off the boob for a second between 10pm-7am. It lasted about 6 weeks for us.

You can tell if your LO is getting enough by looking at diaper output: If she is having a normal amount of wet/dirty diapers, supply is likely not an issue.

I'm not sure about dealing with it along with entertaining a toddler. Could you maybe try feeding in a carrier so that you can be mobile/have your hands free?

Mine cluster-fed a lot between about 4-6 weeks, but even now (4 months) she wants food every 2-4 hours during the day. We're coping with the 4-month sleep regression now but before that, from 6-15 weeks, she'd go 5-6 hours at the beginning of the night, then about 3 hours until the next feed, and then her daytime 2-4 hours. So it did get better but some babies just eat a lot. Mine has always been a bit underweight and I wonder if that's it too--maybe her stomach is smaller than normal? Maybe yours could be like that too? I wouldn't worry for now. Has she regained her birth weight (it took mine almost 2 weeks to do it)?
If you're able to satisfy her during each feed I wouldn't worry about supply. Not all babies can drink a ton of milk at once. I've heard of babies who guzzle for 10 minutes and are done, and those that take their sweet time for an hour. If your baby is still crying from hunger AFTER you've fed her for a while, say 45 minutes, only then I'd worry about the supply issue. Anyhow, yours is so young, maybe your milk is still building up, and it'll adjust to meet her needs.
My doctor recommended switching boobs to encourage quicker suckling: give her #1, then #2, then #1 again, then #2 again. Pull her off once she's really stopped suckling so she doesn't just hang out for half an hour without doing anything. I started doing this around 4 weeks and it helped--she started gaining weight quicker.

My little one feeds all day and cries between feeds. He has lost weight (he's never gained any since being born, he's always lost weight) and his poo still isn't yellow. That's how I know I have a low supply :-( it's really heartbreaking to see. Especially the hunger cries he does, I literally feel my boobs are totally empty and he's still crying :-( I started taking domperidone on prescription from my doctor but doesn't seem to be helping. Xx

My little one feeds all day and cries between feeds. He has lost weight (he's never gained any since being born, he's always lost weight) and his poo still isn't yellow. That's how I know I have a low supply :-( it's really heartbreaking to see. Especially the hunger cries he does, I literally feel my boobs are totally empty and he's still crying :-( I started taking domperidone on prescription from my doctor but doesn't seem to be helping. Xx

Have you tried the herbs? I have heard for some people do better on those.

I was wondering the same thing itsy. I am anemic and been feeling worse the last few days and he seems to be working extra hard at the boob today. Was curious myself if my milk is dropping if my anemia is acting up. Guess its time to go to the dr :wacko:

I'm taking fenugreek but haven't tried any others , maybe worth a shot :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"