Co sleeping and smoking?

danni1979

Reaction score
Hiya all

I was wonderin if anyone knows why co sleeping with a smoking mother (not father) is dangerous..

I have read a few reports and keep getting conflicting facts,i mean if its cos of carbon monoxide and toxins,why doesnt it matter if the father smokes??

Any thoughts guys?

xx xx

Im not sure about the father bit, but you should not co-sleep if either one of you smoke! If you smoke you exhale toxins....

Thanks hun Thats what i thought but when i delved in further it only seems to matter if the mother smokes,which doesnt make sense??

I hadn't heard that it wasn't the same if the father smoked not the mother? I have already read parents...so applying to either?

I've always read parents too :)

I think it's also that you sleep more deeply when you smoke

maybe they just know that dads are useless and wont be the one snuggled up to the baby :haha:

x

I've never heard only mother, I've always heard parents.

Its definately both parents that shouldnt be smoking. I found this in some research

Full-sized infants cosleeping with a smoking parent showed nearly 8 times the risk is SIDS as sleeping alongside non-smoking parents.

And also found this reasoning which can be applied to both the mother and father i imagine
According to Dr. William Sears, author of "SIDS: A Parent's Guide to Understanding and Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome", "mothers who smoke have lower levels of prolactin, the hormone that regulates milk production and affects mothering behavior." He goes on to say: "Diminished maternal awareness of an infant's needs has been implicated as a risk factor of SIDS, and a mother with less prolactin going through her may have less awareness of her infant, an especially worrisome situation when one considers that these infants are already compromised due to their exposure to smoke and nicotine."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->