Coconut oil as nipple cream?

Ruth 1980

Reaction score
Hi all!
Just wondering if any of you have used coconut oil as a nipple cream?
I ask because I heard it suggested recently and I'm a huge fan of coconut oil in general! I know it's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral so it seems like a good thing to slap on the sore-nips! But I'm just wondering did anyone hear it to be a bad thing??
Thanks girls, see you back here in a few days! :flower: x

I use it for everything and only had sore nipples once but when I did I put in on every few hours for one afternoon and they were totally healed by evening. DD had a funny look on her face when latching though :haha:

I use it for everything and only had sore nipples once but when I did I put in on every few hours for one afternoon and they were totally healed by evening. DD had a funny look on her face when latching though :haha:

Haha! That's great to know, thank you! x

I've been using it too! It also seems to help relieve itching from stretch marks, especially when it's been a couple hours between feeds and I'm super full

In the US some LCs prefer it to Lansinoh. I used it with my youngest and it was much better xx

Lansinoh can hold in moisture and encourage thrush, but coconut oil is naturally anti fungal :thumbup: I don't plan on using lansinoh again-gonna try out the coconut oil. It's one of the most hypoallergenic foods, and its often added to preemie's milk as a boost, so it's safe to leave on and feed LO :)

Lansinoh can hold in moisture and encourage thrush, but coconut oil is naturally anti fungal :thumbup: I don't plan on using lansinoh again-gonna try out the coconut oil. It's one of the most hypoallergenic foods, and its often added to preemie's milk as a boost, so it's safe to leave on and feed LO :)

Hello patch! Long time no see :) Congrats on your pregnancy! We're almost the exact same gestation! In fact, I have to have another section which is scheduled for Monday (your due date by the looks of your ticker) so we could have babies that share a birthday! Thanks for your response! I was cooking with my coconut oil last night and wondering what kind of a little pot I can put some in for hospital ;) x

Sorry to butt in but wherebouts would I get coconut oil and is there a specific type you need? :flower:

Hello patch! Long time no see :) Congrats on your pregnancy! We're almost the exact same gestation! In fact, I have to have another section which is scheduled for Monday (your due date by the looks of your ticker) so we could have babies that share a birthday! Thanks for your response! I was cooking with my coconut oil last night and wondering what kind of a little pot I can put some in for hospital ;) x

Hello! I'm scheduled for induction on Monday, so could well be the case if my body and the little person decide to play ball and not hang around for longer than necessary! :) We have little pots from superdrug for the hospital bag and for around the house. They weren't the cheapest, but my husband chose them. I'm sure you can get travel pots from poundland or similar that will do just fine, too. Or maybe boots if they have their travel stuff around yet. Good luck for Monday :)

Sorry to butt in but wherebouts would I get coconut oil and is there a specific type you need? :flower:

The raw organic stuff is best. The cheapest place I've found it on the high street is tesco, which carries a reasonable size pot for £6 https://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268622297

If you shop with ocado (or even if you don't), they have coconut oil for an amazingly good price of £8 for twice as bag a jar as from tesco https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Biona-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-Oil--Raw/83103011

Holland and barrett do sell it, but it's really expensive - around £15 a jar. Amazon do also sell it, too.

Avoid the brand KTC, as there's isn't the raw organic stuff. Biona is what we have, and I've heard good things about Tiana (although tiana tends to be the more expensive, and I'm not sure how much better it is than any other raw oil)

Don't apologise! :flower:
I get mine in an Asian food store. Cheaper than "western" stores! And the tubs are big x

Hello! I'm scheduled for induction on Monday, so could well be the case if my body and the little person decide to play ball and not hang around for longer than necessary! :) We have little pots from superdrug for the hospital bag and for around the house. They weren't the cheapest, but my husband chose them. I'm sure you can get travel pots from poundland or similar that will do just fine, too. Or maybe boots if they have their travel stuff around yet. Good luck for Monday :)

Ooh Monday it is for both of us then!! :) Yes I had some of those little travel pots but my dh emptied out the "junk" room to decorate it for dd just recently and he can't remember where he stashed everything!!! Aargh! I always knew *exactly* where everything was in there (even though it was a mess!) but now there are cardboard boxes, plastic storage boxes, and bin bags full of stuff all around the hallways and I don't know what's in where and can't lift the stacked boxes :dohh:
Good luck for Monday to you too!! :thumbup:
Look forward to hearing your news x

I use coconoil raw organic coconut oil...i buy it online. I get a massive jar for like £15. Lasts ages though. Use it as a body moisturiser on my lo's.

I got some of the Biona coconut oil in our local healthfood shop today (our Tesco is teeny and didn't have it unfortunately) and I am in love with it!
I have really dry skin on my hands from washing them constantly at work so I rubbed a bit on-feels great and smells amazing :D

The raw virgin organic coconut oil has better anti-pathogenic qualities than more refined coconut oils but in terms of moisturising and healing cracked skin there's really no difference between the cheapo one sold in Asian shops and some supermarkets and the pricey virgin organic types. It's worth trying the cheapo ones first and then if they work well no need to try the pricier versions. The cheapo versions tend to have a better texture as well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->