Codeine use during pregnancy

amma

Reaction score
Hi all. Posted this in 3rd trimester as well as here. Ive been taking codeine paracetomol throughout this pregnancy now 30 weeks, prescribed by my doctor as not long before i fell pregnant i had a shoulder operation that hasnt fixed my shoulder hence still in pain! The doctor assures me time and time again its fine to take and believe me if i could get away with not taking it i would. Wondering if anyone out there has taken it throughout there pregnancy and everything was fine, desperatly needing some reassurance here

my hubby is a pharmacist and doesnt let me take it but he's prob erring on the side of caution. most meds r not advised in pregnancy as there have been no studies of their use so it's really a case of they dont know if it could be unsuafe rather than that it is unsafe. your dr wouldnt have prescribed it if he was not sure it was ok 2 take i'm sure.

Codeine is an opiate, and with high doses or regular use in the third trimester, babies can have decreased respiration when born (even when kids/adults have codeine, it's a side effect to watch for) and be born addicted and suffer from Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome. I'm sure your dose would be low enough for the doctor feel ok for you to keep taking it and/or feels that the benefit it gives to you outweighs any potential risk to the baby. But since the risk is higher in the third trimester, maybe it's worth seeing if you can come off it or at least only use it on an as needed basis rather than regularly?

I took codine - co-codamol throughout my pregnancy with my son due to severe spd - i was on 30/500 which is the stonger one. it was a consultant ot 2 that said it was safe - if your doc ok's it i would take their word tbh

i took it when i had my tooth extracted. My sister is a pharmacist and she said in small doses as needed it's safe but she didn't recommend taking it long term. but i was in my 2cd trimester (beginning of it) so things are a little different then

I was offered cocodomol in hospital for my kidney pains but refused as i dont like taking drugs unless im in absolute agony and i didnt know how safe that was, they seem a bit strong to me? But gps know best he wouldnt put his neck on the line by prescribing it if it wasnt safe x

I got prescribed co-codamol last week for my back pains, and I havent taken any yet. I just dont feel right. My doctor is amazing, and reassured me it'll be fine. But I just cant bring myself to do it. I cant see why your doctor would prescribe it if he thought it would harm your baby though.

i take it for my PGP and tooth pain and migraines and im happy taking it so long as its only when needed for the pain rather than a continual dosage where its always in my system

I took the 500/30 cocodamols from week 30 due to SPD, my LO is fine. Just take the minimum to relieve the pain and make do with paracetamol the rest of the time was the advice my Doctor gave me :)

Constipation is one of codeine's side effects. Couple that with the normal pregnancy constipation and that could get horribly uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->