Coil fitting tomorrow terrified *UPDATED PAGE 4!*

kbwebb

Reaction score
I've got my coil fitting tomorrow morning and I'm terrified. Obviously it's a little bit silly as I've had a baby so this shouldn't worry me too much but my anxiety s getting really bad whenever I think about it. I don't want to cancel as I've had to wait months for the appointment and my last pill is tonight, and I'm horrible at taking my pill even with an alarm set. :dohh: some reassurance?!
What's not helping is the face that every month I panic I'm pregnant (even if I haven't missed any pills) obviously I'm not but I still panic regardless. She asked me to do a test the day of the fitting but I'd only be say 9-10dpo, what if I was pregnant and I ended up having it fitted?! I can't stop panicking :cry:

UPDATE
I had my appointment today and she tried a medium sized instrument hat they use to open you but it was too big, the small was too small so she tried a medium narrow. However, after a good half hour of trying, both by the doctor and nurse, they couldn't find my cervix. She said that it's on an angle to the left, however she has never seen one so far over and even after being inside 7cm she still couldn't see the opening to he cervix. She has said that she thinks I have stenosis, narrowing or closure of the cervix. She has refered my for an urgent appointment at the hospital, however urgent appointments are only if cancer is suspected (says so on the form she gave me) she's done swabs of my cervical mucus/cells wants me to have blood tests too. When I've googled (naughty me) it comes up with cervical cancer, infertility and other horrible things. It also says it can be caused by scar tissue. She said obviously I have had a working cervix because I have given birth but I wondering if this has been caused by being cut during labour? I don't know. I'm a mess right now

awww hun try not to panic. its highly unlikely that you will be pregnant if you have not missed a pill.. but maybe do a frer or something to ease your mind? that should pic it up?

all ill say though is please make sure your 100% sure you want a coil fitted and have researched the good and bad and not just gone off what a doctor has told you xx

Don't panic. Easier said than done as I panicked a few months back when I had a mirena fitted.

Most of the procedure is just like having a smear test. Then the uncomfortable bit is like bad period pain but it doesn't last long at all. It was enough for me to screw my face up a bit but not flinch or shout out in pain or anything. Just a little unpleasant, not painful.

Good luck :)

Thanks, I have a test in the bathroom at the minute from a pack I brought a few months ago, I'm a bit of a POAS addict!! I want it because I can afford to have any slip ups just yet :haha: just need to stop talking myself out of it!

I'm having my second coil fitted on Thursday, it wasn't too bad last time but my doctor recommended taking ibuprofen an hour or so beforehand which helped. Just try to relax as much as possible xx

I've got an appt for the IUD (Mirena) in July... I've been putting it off for well, over 2yrs now... but I can't keep messing up my pill and risking it (no matter how low the odds!). So I finally sucked it up and made the appt...

I have friends that have had the IUD and *most* tell me it's not bad at all. Least not near as bad as they made it out to be... so I'm hoping I feel the same! :haha:

Is the coil similar? When you say "fitted" you mean placed? Sorry- just making sure I understood it all correct. My doc is going to use an ultrasound machine during to make sure placement is right. I guess she does that with women that had a c-section (in case of scarring etc). IDK- but I did have a colposcopy once (years back) and if I can survive a camera going up there and a biopsy... I think this should be Ok?

Just breathe hun! And remember, even if it's uncomfortable, it's short lived. :hugs:

Yes I mean placed, the coil is the same as the IUD I think just a different name, in fact I think the IUD is the proper term. I'm having the copper one not the mirena but it's the same thing one has hormones one doesn't xx

I had the mirena and and it was a bit uncomfortable for a few seconds but not painful at all. I went straight back to work and had no painkillers.

I did worry leaving it would fall out lol but it was fine, I'm going back on it after baby is born for medical reasons but would have chosen it anyway. No periods is fantastic!

UPDATE
I had my appointment today and she tried a medium sized instrument hat they use to open you but it was too big, the small was too small so she tried a medium narrow. However, after a good half hour of trying, both by the doctor and nurse, they couldn't find my cervix. She said that it's on an angle to the left, however she has never seen one so far over and even after being inside 7cm she still couldn't see the opening to he cervix. She has said that she thinks I have stenosis, narrowing or closure of the cervix. She has refered my for an urgent appointment at the hospital, however urgent appointments are only if cancer is suspected (says so on the form she gave me) she's done swabs of my cervical mucus/cells wants me to have blood tests too. When I've googled (naughty me) it comes up with cervical cancer, infertility and other horrible things. It also says it can be caused by scar tissue. She said obviously I have had a working cervix because I have given birth but I wondering if this has been caused by being cut during labour? I don't know. I'm a mess right now

I'm so sorry it didn't just go smooth hun. I know it's easy to say, but just try not to worry too too much (although of course you will till you hear all is Ok). They could be just taking precuations and want to have you all checked in. I had "abnormal" cells when I was younger- had a colposcopy and biopsy- and still abnormal... and my body eventually just sorted out. I just had to get paps done every 6mos for 2yrs to make sure all was Ok. I have several friends who all had similar- abnormal cells, some got more tests, some didn't- but all just fine. Just wanted to let you know in case something did come back as it's very common. Much more common than we may think. But it's also common that it's sorted out with no issues :hugs:

Plus- your uterus could just be so tilted that the cervix opening is harder to find. Or, like you said, scar tissue and nothing more.

I know that doesn't ease your mind- I do hope the doctors do soon hun. Deep breathes.

Big hugs :hugs:

Thank you seoj you've made me feel a lot better, fingers crossed everything's ok!! Just feeling a bit sorry for myself at the minute :flower:

That's Ok hun- of course your gonna worry. I did. My friends all did. Sending you positive energy! :hugs: Please keep us posted.

Google makes everything worse! I googled when I had back pain and it told me I was having a miscarriage, I'd never even had sex :haha: try not to worry (easier said than done) and just take each day as it comes, thinking of you xx

Omg feff that's hilarious,:rofl: I'm feeling a lot better today, I suppose I'm thinking more straight now. I've just decided that it's either just at a strange angle and the hospital will be more experienced etc to deal with it and will tell me I'm fine and the stenosis is just narrowing not completely closing my cervix. Or if it is almost to completely closed then we will deal with fertility problems when we know more, I'm just being thankful I have already had Lucy, and that I actually went to the appointment to find this all out. Of course when he hospital appointment comes I'll be a wreck again :dohh:

However, I do know that when I had a miscarriage two years ago, I had an internal scan. The woman was a student and was very rough with me and I was in a lot of pain (this is before miscarrying) I put it down to her being a student, but maybe it's because she too was struggling to find my cervix? :shrug:

:hugs:. I hope you get your appointment soon and it isn't bad news. My cervix was hard to reach after having DS, I had my cervix checked with DD and I had a MW try, then a doctor, the registrar and then a different MW before they could do a complete check! I was told that it was due to scaring from tears in my 1st labour and after birth shifting (this probably isn't a medical term jsut what they say to simpletons like me :haha:) so hopefully it is just that for you :hugs:

I hope it's the same for me, she did an internal exam too and couldn't find it either. I've just had a phone call from the hospital my appointment is next Friday (4th) at 10.20. I'm crossing my fingers that is just scarred from labour or moved slightly and isn't closed completely xx

Sorry to hear it didn't go well:( As Seoj said, though, even if it's being caused by an abnormality, abnormal paps are pretty common, and most will resolve themselves given time if abnormailty is not too severe. If this is the problem, which you will know soon enough from pap results, then they will refer you for a colpo/bx to confirm diagnosis. Then follow up care for 2 years, or until results consistently back to normal (I diagnose paps, so just trying to offer an idea of what will happen on that front).

It could also be a tilted uterus making it difficult to find the opening to the cervix, or scar tissue from previous tearing during birth.

Also keep in mind that sometimes they have to use referral codes that may not necessarily be what the problem is, but more as a rule out this type thing, because its necessary to use that type of code to necessitate ordering that type of test. For example, I get a lot of urine samples with the code "hematuria (blood in urine), r/o cancer". Obviously not everyone with blood in their urine has bladder cancer, and most of these tests come back negative, but its just part of the normal work up to rule it out.

I hope your tests go well, please keep us updated!

Thanks, it's nice to get perspective from someone who works with this kind of thing. Thankfully df has been able to have a word with work and booked the day off to come with me. I think that my cervix was probably tilted anyway and after the labour with Lucy it's scarred too meaning it's even harder to find it than before. I'm hoping that Is the case anyway. I'm terrified of being told it's closed or almost closed and I'll have problems having more children, as I'm only 18! But trying to put that thought to the back of my mind.

:hugs: Hope you're feeling ok today.
I had my appt this afternoon and it was all fine but after thinking about it I remembered that when I had the first coil put in, when my daughter was about 5 months old, they had trouble finding my cervix and I had to make another appt for a few weeks later for them to try again.
It was similar when I had it removed, I had to lift my bottom up off the table and do all sorts of gymnastics :haha: and it still took her a while to be able to visualise it properly.

Got my letter for the hospital today, I've got to go to the gynecology oncology part, the person seeing me is a man. I'm not stupid obviously I knew some men worked in gynecology but now I'm even more nervous than before :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->