Cold season help

thehippie777

Reaction score
My 4month LO just got her first cold a week and a half ago. I also got it. It got me far more ill then her, but that might have to do with the fact that she's only sleeping an hour and half at most in a row right now and for awhile I couldn't breathe either.

Before the cold set in, she was doing at least 5 hours in a row before waking. So, it's hard to tell if it's sleep regression, being so congested, or a combo of both.

She is sooo congested. I have bulbed her and salined her nose, and wow does she hate it. She cries and cries and struggles like crazy the minute she sees the bulb. I even try to move fast and gently.

I also have a humidifier and she sits in the bathroom while I shower.

It looks like the area drug stores are currently out of the netti things to clear noses (minus the pot, which I was told not to use). It's cold season and I am behind.

Is this the only thing I can do for her, parents?

Thank you so very much!

*need sleep longer then 45 - 90 minutes!*

Personally I've never bothered using bulbs, saline or anything like that. I just don't think it's worth upsetting them like that when the relief is often just so short lived. I'll take them in a steamy bathroom or raise their crib at one end but that's about it other than using paracetamol.

I do the same as zorak! And being outside seems to help my DD! Other than that, calpol if she needs it, steamy bathroom, slight rise of her cot if she's having trouble and a LOT of nose wiping- which she despises!

Cupping your hand and patting her firmly (but not hard) on the back may help loosen any mucus, other than that, raise the head of her bed and calpol may help.

Oh, no. I do back clapping like LoraLoo described, while standing in the bathroom with the door closed and a steamy shower running (to save water, I take a hot shower and let my OH hold the baby and clap his back). I nurse my babies, so they get my antibodies, but if your baby is taking formula, you can get probiotics for babies, which do work wonders to help boost their little immune systems. I used Garden of Life brand Raw Probiotics for Kids, which say they can be used from 3 months old. I also Maty's All Natural Vapor Rub (essential oils in natural healthy oils base) and Hyland's Baby Tiny Cold Tablets (Homeopathic). These all contain natural, no junk ingredients and are perfect for babies.

Well, she's been sick for over two weeks and the congestion seems worse, especially at night. We're going to the doctor.

Doctor said no secondary infections, and to saline and bulb her nose well. I live in the States, so I am not sure what the medicine or what-have-you is that was mentioned twice. I have honestly tried everything minus really using the bulb suction with saline since she cries and struggles so much. But Doc said it has to be done and all babies act like that. Hopefully we sleep longer then 1-2 hours increments tonight after the aspiration.

Calpol/paracetamol is Tylenol.

I find the hydrasense nasal aspirator works much better than just a bulb syringe.

Calpol/paracetamol is Tylenol.

I find the hydrasense nasal aspirator works much better than just a bulb syringe.

Oh I see. Well, she has no fever or pain, so doctor says not to use it yet she's still a bit young.

Calpol (or Tylenol for you in the U.S.) and saline nasal spray was what we did. The calpol usually worked wonders and made her so much more comfortable during the night. And at 4 months, she is perfectly old enough for it (I think it's not before 8 weeks?). I would expect she is in pain, which is why she's waking. If you've ever had a sinus infection that dragged on, you will have headache and sinus pain so that is probably what it is. We didn't do a humidifier or those wall plug ins or any of that. Also, during cold season, I take vitamin C, zinc and echinacea every day. It's made a tremendous difference from the first couple winters when I got sick all the time. If at least you are feeling well enough, it makes it a little bit more manageable to do those sleepless nights. 5 hours of sleep in a block at night is good for her age, so I would expect being sick for it to be wake ups every hour or two through the worst of it, which is normal. It will get better again soon. Just take care of yourself in the meantime so you can take care of her.

Calpol (or Tylenol for you in the U.S.) and saline nasal spray was what we did. The calpol usually worked wonders and made her so much more comfortable during the night. And at 4 months, she is perfectly old enough for it (I think it's not before 8 weeks?). I would expect she is in pain, which is why she's waking. If you've ever had a sinus infection that dragged on, you will have headache and sinus pain so that is probably what it is. We didn't do a humidifier or those wall plug ins or any of that. Also, during cold season, I take vitamin C, zinc and echinacea every day. It's made a tremendous difference from the first couple winters when I got sick all the time. If at least you are feeling well enough, it makes it a little bit more manageable to do those sleepless nights. 5 hours of sleep in a block at night is good for her age, so I would expect being sick for it to be wake ups every hour or two through the worst of it, which is normal. It will get better again soon. Just take care of yourself in the meantime so you can take care of her.

I see. Doctors here don't want to give a young baby pain meds 1)unless they believe they need them and 2)so it doesn't cover up a fever that could indicate another issue.

LO appears to be unable to breathe well through her nose, and when it gets too clogged she startles herself awake and it looks like it scares her.

I had a sinus infection 3 weeks ago, I know very well how it feels. I ended up in same day care because of it. With lack of sleep, being sick, and working full time without my husband around to help I got burnt and almost passed out at work. I had a headache for a week and was popping pain meds whenever I could.

Since my second trimester I have been taking zinc to stay healthy. I seemed to catch everything my first trimester. When I feel something coming on, here comes the extra vitamin C etc, and goldenseal. I am also still on prenatals.

LO hasn't gotten 5 hours of sleep in a row for 3 weeks now. The most she has gone with this stuffiness is 3 hours. Most of the time she's up every hour. Last night she struggled with her nose for 4 or more hours, so we were both up during that time. She cries because she can't breathe and that has to be very scary!

The doctor said nothing was infected, but something has to give!!!

We are going on 5 weeks with this stuffiness. I am desperate and the doctor said not to worry. 5 weeks!!?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->