Coldsore - 33 weeks

misslissa

TTC our first!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've come down with a coldsore this morning, I feel really crap. I've been shattered for a few days and this is obviously a result of that.

I've used ice on it to try and stop the itching and numb it a bit but is there anything else anyone can recommend? Not sure if I can use anything - not that I'm sure if anything else really works. I've had these for years and no matter what I've tried I don't think they've really been that different.

You can use acyclovir based cream like zovirax but they're usually not very good once it's broken out - better than nothing though

I find dabbing TCP on with a cotton bud works best once the blister has arrived.

I had one a few weeks back which is very rare. I put zovirax on it x

Ps, ASDA do their own version of Zovirax, it's got the same % of active ingredient but its much cheaper.

Thanks, I used Zovirax this morning but its passed the point of it being much use I think. Using compeed patches now. I'm just shattered, most tired I've been in months.

I've read that coldsores can be linked with low iron levels and strangely my midwife mentioned this last week so I'll be interested to see my results tomorrow.

I got some cream from my gp,she told me some women just get them in pregnancy,I know my iron levels were ok

Hey i also suffer with cold sores for the last few years and nothing works my doctor put me on fucidin cream and it works really fast all tho i cant have it wen pregnant because it has steroids in it i wud as ur doc for a tube of it after baby cause the coldsore virus is really dangerous for newborns :) hope it goes away before then tho :)

Omg yes!!!!

Cold sores are caused by low levels of something but it isn't iron... There are supliments u can buy but I can't for the life of me remember ...pregnancy brain...

HOWeVeR once u have one there's no treatment in a cream form that actually works coz the sore is already there...

What does work is keeping it from the outside environment ... There are these patches u can get from the chemist... They're a clear little circle which u can't even tell u have a cold sore and have vitamins and stuff in them...

I had one a few weeks back... No joke just by using the patches (only need 1 or 2 a day) it went away in 4 days and didn't hurt ... And it was a big one too!!!

Not licking your lips or banging it on your teeth or getting it contaminated with your food or drink or makeup helps soooo much it's unbelievable... The second I felt a lump I put these patches on and bam... 4 days and all gone,..

Hope this helps

On a plus note having a coldsore during pregnancy is actualy a good thing because the baby is exposed to the antibodies you produce while having one and will be born with more of an immunity to the virus.
Its only dangerous if you have never had a coldsore before then get your first one a few days after giving birth, in that case never kiss the baby as it can be fatel (there has been a few cases of babies dieing from this) but if you have had one before its normaly fine and having one during pregnancy is best of all.

DH used to get cold sores. I keep giving him multi-vitamins (Garden of Life Raw for Men), fish oil, probiotics, and lemon balm supplement (supposedly keeps herpes in check). So far he hasn't had a cold sore for 10 months. He'd get them prior to that time, because I was in a different country for a year and the man just can't take care of himself! He was eating fast food all the time and wasn't taking vitamins. But actually I'm just assuming this is all helping. Who knows.

The aciclovir cream will continue to work even if its broken out. It speeds up the healing process so it'll get worse before it gets better. I had a big one at 33 weeks that broke out the morning I went to a wedding. Not a good look!

Hey i also suffer with cold sores for the last few years and nothing works my doctor put me on fucidin cream and it works really fast all tho i cant have it wen pregnant because it has steroids in it i wud as ur doc for a tube of it after baby cause the coldsore virus is really dangerous for newborns :) hope it goes away before then tho :)

My doc gave me some of this on my last outbreak, I went for something else as everyone says not to bother as nothing you can do for coldsores and she noticed how bad it was and prescribed me some as thought I may have an infection like impetigo. It cleared up very fast using this. I wonder sometimes if there actually is more the doc can do if you go and see them.

Omg yes!!!!

Cold sores are caused by low levels of something but it isn't iron... There are supliments u can buy but I can't for the life of me remember ...pregnancy brain...

HOWeVeR once u have one there's no treatment in a cream form that actually works coz the sore is already there...

What does work is keeping it from the outside environment ... There are these patches u can get from the chemist... They're a clear little circle which u can't even tell u have a cold sore and have vitamins and stuff in them...

I had one a few weeks back... No joke just by using the patches (only need 1 or 2 a day) it went away in 4 days and didn't hurt ... And it was a big one too!!!

Not licking your lips or banging it on your teeth or getting it contaminated with your food or drink or makeup helps soooo much it's unbelievable... The second I felt a lump I put these patches on and bam... 4 days and all gone,..

Hope this helps

I'm using the patches, if nothing else they make you feel more protected if that makes sense and that always makes me feel a bit better. I'm using compeed, are they the ones you used?

On a plus note having a coldsore during pregnancy is actualy a good thing because the baby is exposed to the antibodies you produce while having one and will be born with more of an immunity to the virus.
Its only dangerous if you have never had a coldsore before then get your first one a few days after giving birth, in that case never kiss the baby as it can be fatel (there has been a few cases of babies dieing from this) but if you have had one before its normaly fine and having one during pregnancy is best of all.

Thats good to know, maybe in a weird way its not the worst thing. God I just feel so exhausted.

I won't let anyone near baby with a cold sore, even if it wasn't potentially fatal I would just hate my little one to be plagued with this in his life.

The aciclovir cream will continue to work even if its broken out. It speeds up the healing process so it'll get worse before it gets better. I had a big one at 33 weeks that broke out the morning I went to a wedding. Not a good look!

It's never a good time but why they come on particularly bad times is just sods law isn't it!

Not quite true, first cold sores in late pregnancy are just as dangerous, as baby hasnt had chance to build up immunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->