Coldsores during pregnancy!

Ang3l

Pregnant after loss
Reaction score
I know this is probably going to sound ridiculous but I have a coldsore on my lip! I am now panicking because I looked it up and it said that they can be deadly to the baby! Im really scared now as everything has been going so well, I'll be 10 weeks tomorrow and I had a miscarriage before so it makes me even more worried. Has anyone else had a coldsore during pregnancy and their baby was ok and am I just worrying over nothing? :shrug:

I have always had coldsores throughout my life so this is not the 1st one, does that make any difference. Also is there anything I can use to treat it?

Thank you :)

I've never heard of that before but if you are worried phone the doctor hon. I know you can use the coldsore cream. Pregnancy is full of worry hon, you are not being silly. :hugs:

Thanks, I have my 1st midwife appointment tomorrow anyway so I guess I'll say to her. Pregnancy is a big worry, I worry every day about the little things lol. :)

Eat more protein. Cold sores can be caused by incomplete proteins, especially if you are deficient in lysine--and when pg you need extra protein to grow a baby. You can even take a lysine tablet to help clear it up fast.

Poor you, I'm a worrier too and i had 3 huge coldsores one after the other in my first trimester, now coming up to 35 weeks and baby is fine. I read it's only when baby is born that they should not come into contact with coldsores. I never used any medicines, I always use nail varnish remover with acetone and ice and they go really quickly (use at your own risk!!!it's frowned upon by many, but for me I risk it for a quick cure!) good luck with the rest of your pregnancy xx

If you have had coldsores before hun, then its nothing to worry about. The problem is if its your 1st coldsore when baby gets here and you kiss him/her.
This is my close friend Charlotte, who lost her 1st baby Mira to the coldsore virus. Its a sad and upsetting story, but if it helps spread awareness then I feel obliged to share it....

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?src=fftb#!/group.php?gid=20099106759&v=info&ref=ts

Don't worry, i've had two coldsores in my first pg (gave birth to a healthy baby girl) and one in my current. In my first pg i got the second coldsore a week before i gave birth, i didn't kiss my baby for the first month in case i gave her an infection, as unfortunetly happended to the above posters' friend. Amazingly none of the medical staff at the hospital warned me not to kiss baby.

I found using witch hazel sticks help to make them go away quicker, you can get them from boots or superdrugs for under £3.

I've had coldsores since i was about 11 (now 27).

hth x

ETA - SugarKisses, i just read your friends story, her daughter was born two days after mine! that's really upsetting, mira would've been 2yrs & 9months old today :(

Miscarriage is tied to cold sores during pregnancy. So I understand your concern about your baby. What you can do is follow the tips as laid out at HerpesHunter. All these steps are meant to reduce the risk of infecting the fetus with herpes simplex virus.

Don't worry too much. In the worst scenario (assuming you have cold sores almost close to your delivery date), you can opt for a caesarian delivery. This will prevent the herpes virus from spreading to the baby during the delivery through the birth canal.

Miscarriage is tied to cold sores during pregnancy. So I understand your concern about your baby. What you can do is follow the tips as laid out at HerpesHunter. All these steps are meant to reduce the risk of infecting the fetus with herpes simplex virus.

Don't worry too much. In the worst scenario (assuming you have cold sores almost close to your delivery date), you can opt for a caesarian delivery. This will prevent the herpes virus from spreading to the baby during the delivery through the birth canal.

Surely this is for genital herpes not a coldsore on the lips of your face?

As I understand it's only if it's your first one chick so you will be fine, you already have the antibodies to pass to bubs. I have one at the mo too, I was told not to use zovirax when pregnant, sometimes smothering it in vaseline when you feel the tingle stops it appearing but this one came up over night for me.

I get cold sores on my lips all the time, ( well before I get a cold, or if im run down, or if im in the sun too much ) Iv had 3 already, Im only 8 weeks, but my baby looks healthy so far, I also had them with my daughter who is a healthy and happy 4 year old. I normally put ice on them and dab it with salt water, this helps a ton, :)
Feel better hon. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->