Colonoscopy anxiety

Kaleido

TTC #1
Reaction score
So I am having a colonoscopy on Tuesday, and need to do the prep for it tomorrow. My 7 month old is exclusively breastfed aside from a little purée as she is still not very into solids and still getting the hang of them. I spoke to my pediatrician about the prep and she said it was fine to continue breastfeeding thru the prep, and then day of procedure to pump and dump for 24 hours. I have been reading up on this and I don't think the pump and dump is necessary for that long. But I have so much anxiety about all this. I feel like the prep will somehow affect her , or that my supply will be horribly affected from not eating all day. Can any of you ladies tell me what your experiences were with this? For prep I'm taking magnesium citrate, miralax and dulcolax, and my anesthesia is propofol. Ughhhhhh I hate worrying!

I wasn't breastfeeding when I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy but I was very out of it and barely could stay awake for about 15 hours after the procedure so I'm not sure how you are going to breastfeed or pump but everyone's experience is different and you may be more awake. All depends on how the drugs affect you. I honestly don't even know how you are going to do the prep and breastfeed because I basically sat on the toilet the whole day doing the prep and when even when you try to get up you cannot be far from the toilet. I don't think the prep will affect your supply from not eating because you can still drink plenty of fluids though. Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Have you seen this? https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html

There's a fact sheet about colonoscopy and a helpline you can call. I think you are in the US but I'm sure there's an equivalent where you are. Alternatively, try speaking to a friendly pharmacist - they should be able to pull up the latest info about the drugs concerned.

I don't think a day of not eating will affect you much, if at all. As long as you keep hydrated you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->