colostrum collection? !

nickynora

1 fab 4yr old & 1 angel x
Reaction score
colostrum collection?!

Hoping you ladies can help!

When I was diagnosed with GD, the diabetic midwife gave me a leaflet to read about colostrum collection and said that for some babies it is needed to stabilise blood sugars after birth.

Just wondering what you're experiences have been? Is it worth looking in to and doing?I plan on breastfeeding, and did sucessfully with my son till he was 3/4 months old. We never had any problems and took to it like a dream - hence why I plan on doing it agai this time.

Just wondering as I had no issues last time (tho I didn't have GD) is it worth collecting colostrum pre-natally or just go with the flow once baby arrives?

I'm yet to find out if they want to induce or not - natural birh was mentioned after my growth scan on friday (but not sure whether they mean to let it all happen naturally, or just that they dont forsee an elective section!)

Would be glad of others experiences good and bad!

Stalking this cuz i have GD also. Hope you get some good responses!!

I'm doing it for the sake of not breast feeding in the hospital so I will express colostrum and freeze it and take it in to hospital when I have bub. Then I'm breast feeding once home

Hey hun, dont know much about any of this but I thought you shouldnt express before the babys born even if you are leaking as it can bring on premature labour, thats what ive read! Never heard of colostrum collection pre-natally though! I guess your midwife will know best though xx

Hey hun, dont know much about any of this but I thought you shouldnt express before the babys born even if you are leaking as it can bring on premature labour, thats what ive read! Never heard of colostrum collection pre-natally though! I guess your midwife will know best though xx

This is somewhat true, as far as I'm aware it's not generally recommended unless you have complications ie GD, or chances of baby going into special care and only then from about 36/37 weeks I think!

xx

Colostrum harvesting is really important for those with GD. A bit of extra colostrum can really help level out babies blood sugar. Its a natural medicine.

colostrum collection?!

Hoping you ladies can help!

When I was diagnosed with GD, the diabetic midwife gave me a leaflet to read about colostrum collection and said that for some babies it is needed to stabilise blood sugars after birth.

Just wondering what you're experiences have been? Is it worth looking in to and doing?I plan on breastfeeding, and did sucessfully with my son till he was 3/4 months old. We never had any problems and took to it like a dream - hence why I plan on doing it agai this time.

Just wondering as I had no issues last time (tho I didn't have GD) is it worth collecting colostrum pre-natally or just go with the flow once baby arrives?

I'm yet to find out if they want to induce or not - natural birh was mentioned after my growth scan on friday (but not sure whether they mean to let it all happen naturally, or just that they dont forsee an elective section!)

Would be glad of others experiences good and bad!

Hi, I am a type 1 diabetic and with my first I was advised to express (by hand and with syringes which your midwife should provide) at the 36-37 week mark.
Don't get me wrong it was hard work and I only had a couple of ounce after nearly 3 weeks of collecting but i thought it would be worth it once my little girl was born, 6hrs after she arrived her blood sugars dropped dramatically (0.6mmols) and was rushed to nicu.

Unfortunately the hospital misplaced my collected milk that I took with me and she wasn't able to have the colostrum, she ended up in nicu for a week with low blood sugars....I feel if she had gotten my milk to begin with, it could have been prevented.
Not good on the hospital side of things but she had to have drips of glucose and was fed through tubes for almost a week until she could sustain her blood sugars herself, I would recommend to do it, and I my self will be starting to express in a week or so to start collecting for this one too :)
If you can have a shot at preventing it then do it as it really isn't a nice experience to have there blood sugars drop.....I will be placing neon signs around the pots this time so they dont get lost!!!!!

Not all babies suffer blood sugars to drop after birth, my blood sugars throughout my pregnancy were practically perfect but it still happened, and then some babies are fine.

Good luck :)

I had GD with my last pregnancy and was not advised to express any colostrum ahead of time. DD was born by Section and was able to breastfeed without too much problems (ie, she got my colostrum via breast as soon as I was moved to my private room post-op). She did not have any blood sugar issues when born, though, all of her levels were totally normal.

I don't have gd but am harvesting colostrum.

It's hard going and I've not got much off but every tiny drop is gold

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->