Colouring hair anyone?

Tryinfor4th

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone's still having there roots touched up during the first tri,
I've heard so many mixed message some saying its not safe at all during pregnancy and some saying its only a concern during the first trimester.
I had never heard this concern with my older children and only a small buzz with my 3 year old, I'm not sure what to do, anyone!?

Also a friend of mine asked her doc who replied " as long as your not going to drink it its ok" :haha:

I dyed my hair a few times when I was pregnant with our last daughter.I did it every tri.I'm comfortable with it as long as I'm in a well ventilated area

I asked my doctor that exact question, and he told me to wait until second trimester, and it should be fine.

I dyed my hair throughout each of my previous three pregnancies. I always made sure it was in a very well ventilated area and I never had any problems. I was told by a previous midwife that the main concern is inhaling the fumes, so the ventilation is very important.

My doctor also said that as long as it was done in a well ventilated area, it isn't a huge concern!

Hi. This is from the organisation of teratology's website. Which means straight from the horse's mouth. Hope it'll ease your mind as there are so many horror stories and speculations out there.

https://www.mothertobaby.org/files/hairtreatments.pdf

I was wondering if anyone's still having there roots touched up during the first tri,
I've heard so many mixed message some saying its not safe at all during pregnancy and some saying its only a concern during the first trimester.
I had never heard this concern with my older children and only a small buzz with my 3 year old, I'm not sure what to do, anyone!?

Also a friend of mine asked her doc who replied " as long as your not going to drink it its ok" :haha:

My hairdresser is a mum, and she said as long as the dye doesn't touch your scalp all is well. I have highlights and we did mine last Saturday. The ony issue I've had was it took ages and instead of light blonde it's more brassy looking. Which can apparently happen due to hormones. :hugs:Xx

My hair is bright pink, so requires a full bleach with peroxide and then dye approx every two months. I did the same all through both previous pregnancies as well.

Yeah that is quite old advice. I work in a salon and we used to my be able to treat women in their first tri for insurance but now the insurance said its fine. As the other ladies said make sure you are in a well ventilated area. And, personal advice, don't do it with morning sickness or you could throw up everywhere lol!

I asked my midwife the last time i was pregnant and he said it's fine, so i do it, or rather i go to the salon, im not prepared to do it in my tiny bathroom.

But i think it depends who you talk to, so Dr's say yes and some no, i honestly dont think it effects baby i think that because of the hormones in your body a dye that you might have used before, every month for years might suddenly have a strange reaction, and makeyou hear swell up like the elephant man.

I would say ask your midwife/Dr then you know who to sue :)

I bought "natural" dye from a health food store. There's no ammonia or other nasties in it. A very small amount of peroxide, but far less than normal dye. There was hardly any smell from it and it worked perfectly.

This reminds me I need to do my hair, greys are not a good look for me lol

i used a semi permanant no amonia what lasted 28 washes so do that untill your in second tri xx

I'm really sorry to be saying this and I always feel awful but I can't not reply to hair dye threads. My case is extreme and I'm sure everyone is different.
I had my hair dyed in December when I was 6 weeks pregnant, it was the same dye I always used the only difference was that I was pregnant. Long story short I had a massive allergic reaction, my head and face swelled up so much that I couldn't see. I ended up in hospital on a drip and sadly miscarried my precious baby a week later.
I'm not trying to frighten anyone but I would not wish it on my worst enemy.
The hospital did however tell me that this happens more regularly with darker hair dyes. Please be careful whatever you do and make sure you do a few patch tests first.
Thankfully I am pregnant again, this time my hair has had to take a back seat but I could never go through that again.

You never know how the color turns out I'd be careful I was a hairdresser for 8 years and I seen all kinds of reactions from coloring hair whilst pregnant from the color takin to dark, to not taking at all to hair snapping to allergic reactions, hi lites are the safest option. At the end of the day regardless to what that box says it is a chemical.

Been dying my hair red once a month since I got pregnant. Doctor said it was fine. Won't believe otherwise until I see some scientific consensus to that effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->