Combining BF with Formula

TTC LADY

Reaction score
At the moment I am EBF , however LO is waking up every 1.5 -2 hrs during the night for a feed which is a nightmare for me and totally exhausting.

I am wondering whether to switch to a formula feed last thing at night as this may enable him to remain fuller and slee longer , however I don't want my milk to reduce.

Does anyone else do this?, did you notice LO sleeping longer during the night ?, what impact did it have on your own milk supply ?

At the moment I am EBF , however LO is waking up every 1.5 -2 hrs during the night for a feed which is a nightmare for me and totally exhausting.

I am wondering whether to switch to a formula feed last thing at night as this may enable him to remain fuller and slee longer , however I don't want my milk to reduce.

Does anyone else do this?, did you notice LO sleeping longer during the night ?, what impact did it have on your own milk supply ?

The main problem is is that hormones for milk production are increased at night (though I'm having difficulty finding actual research on this, so if anyone has any post it!) a lactation consultant actually told me this.

When I was sick and my LO was around the same age I had to give him formula for a couple of days (and occasionally for a few weeks), and he ate more often and was up more frequently. I was completely shocked because I thought that they were supposed to go longer between feeds. I tried different types of formula too: enfamil, gerber good start, similac, store brands, he acted the same with each type. I was pumping at the same time he would normally have his feeds so didn't experience any supply loss.

If I remember correctly, my LO started sleeping better at night around 10 weeks.

Your LO seems to be around six weeks old???

I would not personally supplement. The reason being is that there is a HUGE growth spurt at six weeks which you are probably going through. Your LO is waking frequently to feed in order to increase your milk supply. If you supplement, your supply won't increase to where it needs to be. I went through this when my LO was six weeks. He woke up every hour for three nights. It was hell. It doesn't last forever though!

We supplement with formula, did from the first day and it had no effect on my supply whatsoever. I bf her during the day and also express before bedtime and occasionally get up again to express (however this only takes half an hour, compared to bf up to two hour). Everyone is different, just do what works best for you and LO. You need to look after yourself too!

Ugh, I remember waking up every hour to feed during the night- it is NO fun!

However, I am someone who had to supplement for various reasons (complex situation), and it really will affect your milk if you give a bottle without pumping every time they get a bottle. I found supplementing and pumping during the night to be more miserable, personally. It took so much longer, and I couldn't easily hold my baby while pumping if he was crying. I hated it.

There may be other ways to do it, but if you can try to hold on until he gets past that phase, do that-- at the same time, you're the momma, so you gotta do what you gotta do! It is so hard, but also around 6 weeks is often a crazy feeding time...for us it only got better after 6 weeks, but I know every baby is different!

I tried this for a couple of nights and it really didn't seem to make any difference to how long my son would sleep. How old is your little one? As my son also used to wake every 2/3 hours in the night. He also went through a couple of spells where it would be every hr during the night( growth spurts I'm guessing). He is now 10 weeks and for the last 2-3 weeks he has been going from 11-4 then waking again at about 7/8. So you may find he settles down soon xx

The main problem is is that hormones for milk production are increased at night (though I'm having difficulty finding actual research on this, so if anyone has any post it!) a lactation consultant actually told me this.

When I was sick and my LO was around the same age I had to give him formula for a couple of days (and occasionally for a few weeks), and he ate more often and was up more frequently. I was completely shocked because I thought that they were supposed to go longer between feeds. I tried different types of formula too: enfamil, gerber good start, similac, store brands, he acted the same with each type. I was pumping at the same time he would normally have his feeds so didn't experience any supply loss.

If I remember correctly, my LO started sleeping better at night around 10 weeks.

Best I could find ATM sorry

https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/prolactin-levels/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->