Comfort nursing is the only thing that makes LO stop fussing!

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
I am a human pacifier. :baby:

I'm not sure if this is just a phase or what, but lately my LO can't seem to be soothed without nursing, and has been comfort nursing all day and night. :(

She's pretty good at STTN, and usually wakes up every 3-4 hours to nurse, then falls right back asleep while nursing. As of lately though it seems she never wants to be off the breast. I'm normally able to rock her to sleep for naps and soothe her fussiness, but it's just not working anymore. She will fuss so much until I latch her, and then she will just nurse for hours. When she is asleep, I'll try to remove my nipple from her mouth, because by that point it's so very sore and raw, but the moment I take her off, she starts crying and flailing her arms, until I have to latch her back on.

I don't know what to do. :( She refuses bottle and pacifiers. She's always been a very clingy baby (never wants to be put down) but nursing 20 times a day is killing my nipples, not to mention I can't get any housework done / lunch made. I'm fine with comfort nursing, especially in the middle of the night to get her back to sleep, but am I creating a booby monster by letting her comfort nurse constantly?

** I forgot to mention she just had surgery on her throat a couple days ago, so I'm very happy that's she's eating so well at all! But I'm wondering if it's possible the reason she's comfort nursing so much because she was traumatized from the surgery? (It was a very rough experience for her)

She's doing exactly what she is designed to do. Pacifiers where invented as replacement boobs, so try not think of it as using you as a pacifier. She's suckling where she should be suckling and not on a plastic replacement. If her throat is sore she probably finds nursing nice and comforting.

Have you tried wearing her in a carrier. I found DS was very relaxed once in a carrier and once you master back carrying baby can go sleeps whilst you do housework.

DD was a super clingy baby. She grew into a very independent, secure and outgoing toddler and little girl. So don't worry about her continuing to be clingy. The reassurance she gets now will help her grow into a strong and secure little person.

As PP said!

I've been surprised recently. My LO is 2.5 years old and often I think she's just nursing for comfort but she's quite happy to talk about boobs so I ask her if she's still getting any milk and she tells me that the milk is slow but she does still get some (and apparently it's better than chocolate!). She obviously thinks it's worth it, so I imagine your LO does too, especially if she's a bit sore, or has been through something upsetting recently. To be honest though, it sounds like she's being pretty normal for her age.

I'd recommend going back to all the things you did when she was first born - nipple cream, let them air dry when you get a 5 minute break etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->