Comfort sucking

Rachie004

Reaction score
is driving me crazy, the last few afternoons it is all my LO has wanted to do and by yesterday evening we were both crying together.

Also, at night he feeds/comfort sucks to sleep for hours.

My husband has suggested a dummy but I'm loathe to give him one. My thoughts are that he's better off using me and getting the goodness of breastmilk rather than a dummy. Is it something that he will just grow out of in time?

He used to like sucking his thumb when he was born but grew out of that one within a couple of weeks. He's 8 weeks old.

TIA xx

I couldn't handle the comfort sucking. Regular feedings were painful enough, so against my original 'plan' I gave him a dummy. He is now almost 3 months old and is still very mouthy and will also have his fist in his mouth if he doesn't have the dummy, so not grown out if it yet.
Good for you for not caving! Your a trooper :)

Thankfully I haven't had any problems with soreness so that isn't an issue for me. It's just being sofa bound with him and not being able to get anything done, it's particulary frustrating that he keeps falling asleep but as soon as I try to move him he wakes up all annoyed that there isn't a boob in his mouth.

Thank you for the kind words :)

I never wanted to give my lo a dummy but due to cracked nipples I couldn't handle the comfort sucking and gave in. For the first few weeks I used it a lot but now he only has it when he needs a nap and the usual comforting doesn't work. He never has it at night and I try to avoid it as much as possible but it does help.

It's hard when your anti dummy but if it means you get a bit if time in the evening it's worth it.

I never wanted to give my lo a dummy but due to cracked nipples I couldn't handle the comfort sucking and gave in. For the first few weeks I used it a lot but now he only has it when he needs a nap and the usual comforting doesn't work. He never has it at night and I try to avoid it as much as possible but it does help.

It's hard when your anti dummy but if it means you get a bit if time in the evening it's worth it.

It may not work for you child but for mine I've found a way to ninja slip out of the comfort sucking at night and for naps. I feed to sleep and then slip away. When my son has gotten to comfort sucking I put my index finger right near the corner of his mouth and wait for him to take the 'pause' in the comfort sucking and push my finger slightly in enough to break the seal and just pull the nipple out and stay completely still. I give him another minute or two to settle and then slooooooowly slide away.

We've gotten the point now where by increasing the increments of 'amount of settled' he has gotten that at four months I can slip my nipple out while he's groggy, turn him over and pat him bum and he'll settle.

If nothing will work, I'd opt for the dummy and give yourself some rest.

Thanks for the replies everyone :D

I'm glad I perservered as he doesn't seem to feel the need anymore. I'm wondering if he was having a growth spurt of something of that order as there seems to have been a marked change in him. He even slept from 8pm until 2.30am on Sunday night without being attached to me. He's happily playing on his mat while chatting to the elephant rattle right now :D

Jessesgirl, I've been trying the ninja slip to varying degrees of success, mostly unsuccessfully but will perservere.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->