Completely confused about what I can and can not feed! Please help!!!

I had one of those allergy tests done just before I was pregnant as I as having weird stomach pains, it said I was allergic to eggs, so I thought as I was pregnant by the time I got the results back I better play it safe and not have eggs for a while. Now I am thinking I will start eating them again when I start Freya on them.

I am of the opinion that whilst you can be too careful, there is no harm in waiting a couple of months, we will be giving Freya eggs, wheat, etc just not for another few months as I feel there is no real need anyway. We eat plenty of food without eating those particular things. I would hate for it to be my fault that she has an allergy. I hope she has none.

I will be waiting til at least a year with milk though, as I really do have an allergy to it and it really messes with me. Still not convinced I have a problem with eggs though as I have eaten them all my life with no problems up to last year:lol:

I feel a big responsibility to do this right, that's why I'm just not going to give her anything I'm not 100% sure is good for her.

Also, I didn't know raspberries could do that, Freya has been having them most days for a few weeks, she did get a bit of a rash with a tomato, but she was sucking on it for ages, so I think it was that. She has been fine every other time. So if she's ok with raspberries do you think she's ok with strawberries? Or are they really different?

I agree with what Faille says.

When I asked my paeditrician what Sofia could have he just said "anything" and when I said she wasn't having purees and feeds herself he said "that's normal" :rofl: I was just like, oh ok. Fine. But then again when I saw her other paed the day before yesterday she thought I should've waited until 7 months before weaning.. Oh well, Sofia is fine.

Also, I didn't know raspberries could do that, Freya has been having them most days for a few weeks, she did get a vit of a rash with a tomato, but she was sucking on it for ages, so I think it was that. She has been fine every other time. So if she's ok with raspberries do you think she's ok with strawberries? Or are they really different?

Kirsten, even if she does have a reaction it won't hurt her and it's normally something they grow out of - sorry, no idea if strawberries and raspberries are linked, but then Sofia has eaten citrus fruit and tomatos with no reaction.

Yeah she's had citrus fruits, tomatoes, etc and been fine. I'm sure strawberries and things are fine too.

I agree with what Faille says.

When I asked my paeditrician what Sofia could have he just said "anything" and when I said she wasn't having purees and feeds herself he said "that's normal" :rofl: I was just like, oh ok. Fine. But then again when I saw her other paed the day before yesterday she thought I should've waited until 7 months before weaning.. Oh well, Sofia is fine.

Lmao I'm glad that you're getting the same advice from everyone!!

I think strawberries are more common to have reactions to, although I'm not sure why.

even if she does have a reaction it won't hurt her.

Lol, I'd rather she didn't though if I can avoid it!

I think strawberries are more common to have reactions to, although I'm not sure why.

I think they are, I don't know why though. I have never heard of raspberries giving a reaction. Must be somthing different about them :shrug:

Ha ha, yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like "go on, give her an allergic reaction!". Anyway, she's eaten them with no ill effect so no worries.

I dunno if my paed was saying she didn't think Sofia personally should've been weaned before 7 months or if no babies should be... the other paed told me that although their guidelines say 5-7 months it would only be in exceptional circumstances for a 5 month old baby, he said 6 months was the minimum age, so maybe that's what the lady paed meant...

Yeah maybe. I wonder if the UK guidelines will ever change to 5-7 months. We seem to be behind the rest of Europe for most things, lol. Would be better. It's really nice to know other countries don't recommend you starting 'til later, I mean Freya doesn't eat at some days, and very little other days, so it's nice to know it's not really necessary yet. However many times I read the bible, it's nice to know lots of health professionals think the same!

It must be weird for people like you Henny, who have dealt with health systems in both the UK and other countries, they do so many things differently. I have a Polish friend who has just moved back to Poland to have her baby as she said she would never ever trust the NHS or any medical system here! Lol. I also had a friend who went to Germany to have her baby then moved back soon after, lol. She said she would rather have it over there.

My aunt is highly allergic to raspberries...eating something that touched one has put her in hospital. There are other fruits that cause her the same problem too. I've never heard of this before though.

All the conflicting advice has me confused, too! :wacko:

In the end, I think I am going with an idea similar to what faille does --

No honey (due to botulism risk)
No whole nuts (due choking risk)
Waiting a bit longer for other choking hazards (like whole grapes)

Other than that, I am going to try things out. There are no food allergies in my or OH's family.

Wait -- I lied. My mom is allergic to rye, so I will wait on that! And I am allergic to fresh mango in massive doses (like eating 3 plus mangos a day), so will only do that in small bits.

But the little stars yoghurt have strawberry flavour which has it in them. Emma has had them and been fine.

My MW and HV have said that if one or both parents are allergic then there is a risk baby will be to. If neither of you are then LO shouldn't be allergic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->