Computer games for my 10yr old twins

julietz

Reaction score
Hi all, how does everyone feel about computer games for kids, my twins are realy into them cos their friends are, now theres this xbox live where they play together, i wont allow mine microphones dont want them talking to strangers etc, question is how much time is ok, their friends play on them straight after school up until 8pm, breaks for tea etc, for a week i had nothing but arguments in our house cos i wouldnt let them play as long, its not good, but they think im being mean, so i decided 2hrs after school and they not happy keep prodding for more, now they want a game thats an 18 COD Black ops all their friends have it, no way. what do you all think about them i know its best them not hanging around streets and you know where they are if inside, but dont want them becomming computer freaks where i never see them, am i being harsh or is this just part of growing up?

It's just a part of growing up, and a sign of the time I'm afraid.
I would give them until tea time, make them sit and eat their dinners, do their homework, have baths and then until half an hour before bed so they have time to unwind. It's a good way of bribing them to behave aswell i.e taking it off them as punishement if needed.

I wouldn't trust age guidelines completely, and i would ask other people (the shop assistants, friends) what they think before you let them play anything.

Black ops has shooting people, but no excessive swearing and no nudity/sexual references. It's up to you what you think. It's pretty tame, kids know that shooting is unacceptable unless they grow up in rough areas/mix with the wrong people.
I wouldnt, but that's a choice you have to make for yourself.

There are online games they can play with their friends that is mild such as World Of Warcraft or Minecraft. They can join their friends in a fantasy world and make things and earn things.

You cant stop it really, because eventually they will become independent and hate you for refusing them their games and will play to spite you. :(

Maybe you can get kinect for the xbox, or the wii and find family games where you can all play. And that way you are getting involved and bonding with them?

xx

It sounds like you're being perfectly reasonable to me. 2 hours per day is the maximum recommended amount of screentime for children and there's no way COD is suitable for 10 year olds. There have been lots of studies showing how children are desensitised after playing violent games. Personally I think you should stick to your rules. I like some of happydino's suggestions too. :)

I try so hard to stop my son playing on his, he is 6 years old and love computer games. I make sure we have heaps of other stuff to do, like playing footy, card games etc. A little bit doesn't hurt but too much is not great

Thanks everyone for your replies, there is no way they would let me play with them, they use to but now they just want to play with their friends, which is fine there at that age now, i just dont want them to become addicted to games all the time, so feel if i increase the hrs they play then there is no going back so have to be sure, we go the parks and kick balls etc days out, but as for indoor activities they dont seem to be interested in anything in their room, so im kinda having a clear out of board games and cars etc, think it just hit me that my boys are growing up bless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->