Conception Paranoia!

0livia

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm a newbie... just happened to come across this site, and after reading through a few threads, seems like a big family here! I'm 24 years old, and just married. Hubby and I had planned to wait a few years before trying for our first, but lately the topic has been coming up more and more. Because of that, I've recently discovered that I have this uncontrollable paranoia that I won't be able to concieve... it's kind of out of nowhere, but it's really becoming a big thing for me.
My mother was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 30, and thankfully after treatment, she was cancer-free, but she did lose a baby early in her first pregnancy, before me. My maternal aunt also had trouble getting pregnant, and finally had her first and only child at 43. I know I'm young, and should probably be a fertile myrtle, and don't really have a reason to think I'd have any problems, but the idea is still there. Children are very important to both my new husband and myself. I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this before trying for a baby, and maybe some of the more experienced out there, do you think my mother's issues are cause for me to be so worried??

My mother had issues TTC for the 2nd time. She eventually went on clomid which resulted in my twin sister and I =)

I concieved my first baby right away.. waited 10 years and then conceived my second baby on the first try. You should be okay!

I worry about it at least once every few days, and I'm young too, only 20. I think as soon as you start considering having a baby, all the worst possible outcomes pop in to your head. Chances are, you'll be fine, but it's completely normal to worry :) You'll probably be the most fertile person ever, apart from beltane by the sounds of it! :p
Best of luck!
xx

Hi,

I keep thinking I will have trouble conceiving too - I may do and feel it's quite likely but I won't know until I try. I'm a born worrier though.

Anyway you mentioned your mum having cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus which is passed on through sexual contact with someone carrying the virus. There are several strains of this HPV virus and 90 percent of the population who are sexually active are thought to carry at least one type. A certain strain of the virus leads to genital warts whereas 2 other strains can potentially lead to cervical cancer if left untreated. All the other strains have no side-effects what so ever so you wouldn't even know you had it!

The HPV virus which causes cancer is NOT heridetary so you can't get it from your mum. You could only get it by having unprotected sex with someone carrying the virus.

I think about 1 in 20 people get one of the HPV strain that can lead to cervical cancer. If you had this you would get an abnormal smear result. Then if it is mild changes you leave it 6 months and see if the cells go back to normal, if they don't you get those cells burned off. Once they are burned off they may never come back or they may come back and you get them burned off again. If you keep up-to-date with your smears you should be fine.

ALSO - you cannot get HPV unless you have sexual contact with someone. Which is why nuns never get cervical cancer.

There's lots of stuff on the internet about it! I know a lot because my brother's girlfriend had an abnormal smear, so did my sister, and 3 of my friends, so I chose to educate myself about the HPV virus. I still don't think people know enough about it.

I'm a little paranoid too. I had a MMC a few years ago and I'm afraid it's going to happen again.

I really worry about it too!! I try not too! Until we start trying we will not know and so I am trying to think that it's not worth worrying unless I really need to :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->