Concerned about my OB office.

ChellePepper

Reaction score
So, I have a tendency to be melodramatic and over-reactive. So i wanted to get yalls opinion before I make any rash decisions.

I didn't have a OB/GYN here in Denver, so I googled, looked at reviews and chose one close to my house.

My first appointment at the practice was because of some bleeding I was having. I called and they got me in the next day with the on call doctor.

I show up and pee in the cup, go around to wait for the doctor. The first assistant to show up was friendly and nice. When the doctor came in, she started talking to me about my UTIs. I put on my chart that I get chronic UTIs. SHE DIDN'T EVEN KNOWN I WAS PREGNANT! I mentioned I was afraid I was miscarrying and she said "OH, I missed that part. I didn't see you had passed your pregnancy test." I guess that should have been my first clue.

We go to the ultrasound room, where she performs a pap, a quick breast exam and the ultrasound. During the ultrasound she says there are two sacs and while one is empty, I could be having twins. She said several time it was definitely not a blood clot. I dress, leave and schedule a follow up for three weeks.

She calls me two days later, tells me I have an abnormal pap smear, but I shouldn't worry and they will repeat the test in a year.

I go in for my three week checkup. One of the first things they mention is the doctor that I have chosen may not be my delivering doctor - that I could have any one of 4 doctors in the practice present at the birth. The on call doctor is the delivery doctor, not your doctor. The doctor goes over several different tests and screenings.

Eventually we go to the ultrasound room, see one healthy baby and flat-out says,"oh that other one was just a clot." I thought my poor finance was going to cry he was so disappointed. No other information about the blood clot, what it could mean or anything. She never mentioned anything about my abnormal pap smear, either.

During my ultrasound, she let me hear the babies heartbeat, but didn't give me a reading on it.

This is my first baby and I don't know what to expect. Is this fairly normal for practices? I am being a little over-sensitive?

I am thinking of transferring to a midwife center anyway, as I want to have a natural birth as possible. These people seem like they would be PIT happy.

Uggg...doesn't sound at all like my experience with my OB. I don't like large practices where you never know who you will see. My OB was in practice alone and had one nurse. I saw them every visit and got to know them well. He delivered my baby. He scanned me nearly all my appts and always thoroughly explained everything we were seeing on the screen. I called anytime I had a question and he always called me back. He was never rushed. He also let me make all the decisions about my labor and birth.

I would change, if I were you. They don't seem 'on top of things' at all. Obviously, not taking the time to read all your info b/4 coming in to see you if the didn't even know you were pregnant. Nope. I wouldn't put up with that when there are better options out there. Good luck.

To be honest in the UK - it's totally different. With the NHS it's a lottery. With my daughter I saw a different midwife at every appt, had 3 different midwives during her birth and saw a different doctor (who offered different plans of action) about my platelet issues...

That said if I was paying large amounts of money for a doctor - I would definitely switch if I wasn't happy with the service. Here I am just grateful it is all free.

The not knowing you were pregnant is a huge issue to me. You could have had a shot or been told to take pills and if asked is it safe she would have said yes not realizing. Also the sac then blood clot. I don't like response. It was one thing for sure then it was not it for sure.

The delivery is standard in my area/with clinic I was to use(I never went as MC before first appointment)

Also I would have wanted to know the HB per minute reading for records. Ask she may have it. If not I think that is crapy to not have for her notes in your chart.

I really think I would find another place. This is a place you will be at many times in next few months adn you don't want every visit to be stressful.

I think if you want to know who is going to deliver your baby, then go with someone who is in practice by themselves, or with a mw. Unfortunately, large practices like that tend to take turns with whoever is on call. I was really fortunate and got my own dr 3 out of 4 times. Although with the time I didn't get her, I believe it was a God send. The dr that delivered my last one had a much more conservative approach. My own dr would have pushed for a c-sections , I believe. I actually ended up switching to the other dr , and she is who I will be using this time. Even though the practice is fairly large, she is very thorough, kind, and isn't rushed. I wish we had a birthing center around where I live. There is one 45 min north, but it's not covered by ins. Most of the midwives in my area work in practices anyway. As far as the other, she sounds like she is so busy she's not really paying attention ( like my other doc). Probably completely competent, but maybe not the right personality for you? GL!

Yeah...no. I would definitely change. My doctors office has 3 doctors and 2 midwives. You meet ALL of them and get to know them very well in case your preferred isn't available when you go to delivery. I didn't think I would care for that sort of thing until I actually started meeting everyone. I like all of them so far and I've met 4 out of the 5 there and I've only had one OB appointment. To be fair though, I've been seeing them for almost a year. However, I nearly switched to an all midwife practice, but when I went in to set up an appointment for a consultation, the office was packed and the midwife wasn't even in yet. I said, nope, not happening. My office you are almost ALWAYS called in within 10 minutes of signing in and MAYBE have to wait another 10 minutes before the doctor or midwife come in to meet with you for your appointment. I've seriously never been to a doctors office like that. So very on top of things. I love it there. Though with your situation, if she can't even be bothered to look at your chart, I'd definitely go elsewhere. Find someone you are comfortable with because this is the person that will be delivering your child.

It's pretty common to have a lottery with doctors/midwives. I will see a new midwife for each appointment, but they've all been so lovely that I don't mind. As for not catching you're pregnant, when that was the reason for your visit.... Dumb.

If you don't feel comfortable with a place, change. You'll feel so much better!

I have Kaiser insurance and we pick our main ob but then for delivery, it could be any one of the doctors on-call that day for delivery. :( That's just how most hospitals do it from what I understand.

The other stuff, I don't know. You could always try another doctor and see if you like her/him better. Sometimes first impressions are really harsh, and you have to try again. And remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I'm not saying everything that happened was spot on (b/c it wasn't - come on, she could have looked to see that you were pregnant!), but maybe its worth trying again. :)

Thanks yall!

I just want to be comfortable, ya know. They just don't seem very dedicated to quality care. I am glad I'm not the only one who sees that.

The birth center here has an excellent reputation. If I can go that route, I think I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->