conflicting info about bf in hot weather

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
I feel like I post too much but here is another query.
2 days ago LO had 3month immunisations. Weather is warm and the nurse said give him plenty of cool boiled water. I said I'm breast feeding and she frowned and told me he still needed needed water because holding him to feed would make him hotter. But all the advice I've been given before from LC's was to bf on demand and that breast milk was fine otherwise it may interrupt/reduce supply if I gave water before he was having solids. Nurse also said my milk is warm and that would make him hot too.
I decided to keep bf, not give water and dress him in cool clothing and have a/c on at home. He seems fine.

What do you ladies think? I don't know what advice to follow especially when we go on holiday to US because it will be considerably hotter than we are used to and I won't be able to give him boiled water to drink as not all hotels/motels have kettles (usually coffee pots) and some don't have microwaves for me to sterilise bottles in.

I've never heard that before. Dd just had her 2 mo shots yesterday and dr said to continue on breastmilk only. I think it has all the hydration babies need, and i don't think the temp matters.

I have hear you shouldn't give more than a tiny bit of water at that age because it's bad for the kidneys, so I think you did the right thing.

Breastmilk is perfect, it's fine, you did the right thing.

You don't usually have to boil water in the US, we add chlorine to the water to kill germs. I never heard of using cooled boiled water for anything until I was on these boards! Also bottled is usually readily available.

Where are you going in the US? There is quite a wide range of weather here!

RE boiling water, it isn't recommended here in the US unless your doctor or health department instructs you to, if you live in an area with less than safe water or your baby is immune compromised.

I live in Portugal. It's very hot in the summer. In August when we were away from home for a few days temps we well over 100 and we had no air conditioning. LO was 3 months old and ebf. She seemed to BF almost non stop whenever she felt hot but she was fine. I don't see the harm in giving a little water if you want to but you certainly don't need to. And you shouldn't overdo it.

In europe we are told only to use sterile water for babies under 6 months, either to feed directly or make up formula. Chlorinated tap water or bottled water are fine for older babies but are not sterile. I guess it's to prevent diarrhea, but I never really thought to question it.

Yeah I guess they just treat the water over here more, or maybe we are just used to it. If it was a major health risk, I'm sure I would have heard about it! I have seen sterile water in the hospital and I think you can buy it near the formula at the baby store, but just in little 2oz bottles/preemie size portions.

Your nurse has given downright dangerous advice. Water intoxication can happen fast in babies. Breastmilk is all they need until solids are introduced, and even then they don't need much if they still feed on demand

My dr just told us last week that we can give 2 oz of water IF we are outside for a long time and I think he may be getting too hot. But other than that he always says breast milk has plenty of water in it

Breastmilk is mostly water... so nope they don't need more water.

Your nurse sounds like she needs to brush up on her practice. There's a couple things wrong with her suggestions. Like the previous ladies said, bm is mostly water, especially the fore milk, which comes out much more watery at the start of nursing, so if lo is thirsty and not hungry, he will nurse enough to quench his thirst and stop. So giving a tiny bit of water is ok, but definitely not necessary, and if too much is given at that age it can be dangerous, so it's just not typically recommended.

Holding them closely in hot weather can make both of you hot, but there are plenty of ways to cool down or keep cool. Try keeping some teething rings really cold in an ice pack if you are out and about on vacation and letting lo chew on them, and try to stick to breezy, shady, or air conditioned areas.

Finally, your milk is body temperature, not hot. Drinking cold water when you are really hot is refreshing, but actually doesn't help lower your body temperature because your body has to work to warm that cold water in your belly. Drinking room temperature water is recommended if you are at risk of overheating as an adult, so body temperature milk for baby will do fine.

A wet face cloth is great in hot weather. LO would actually sleep with it draped over her when it was really hot.

I have hear you shouldn't give more than a tiny bit of water at that age because it's bad for the kidneys, so I think you did the right thing.

You don't usually have to boil water in the US, we add chlorine to the water to kill germs. I never heard of using cooled boiled water for anything until I was on these boards! Also bottled is usually readily available.

RE boiling water, it isn't recommended here in the US unless your doctor or health department instructs you to, if you live in an area with less than safe water or your baby is immune compromised.

All mums in UK are told to boil and cool water if giving to a baby, but no need if anyone else is drinking. We usually go to Nevada/California/Arizona/Utah. We like to travel round!!

Oh! Super hot places! But at least it's a dry heat! :)

Oh, and don't forget that a bath is really good for cooling anyone down. It's as effective as paracetamol at lowering a fever, so it works really well for just generally needing to cool down, too. Also, holding a baby skin to skin won't get them overheated - your bodies work together to maintain a comfortable temperature. I'd really consider complaining about that nurse, it's really shockingly bad advice you've been given!

Oh, and don't forget that a bath is really good for cooling anyone down. It's as effective as paracetamol at lowering a fever, so it works really well for just generally needing to cool down, too. Also, holding a baby skin to skin won't get them overheated - your bodies work together to maintain a comfortable temperature. I'd really consider complaining about that nurse, it's really shockingly bad advice you've been given!

Well I was surprised that she'd suggested it. Do you know of anything written on the internet that I can use to back me up when I do complain?

All mums in UK are told to boil and cool water if giving to a baby, but no need if anyone else is drinking. We usually go to Nevada/California/Arizona/Utah. We like to travel round!!

edited.

Boiling water is actually recommend in the US, not overly sure why you've never heard that. But everyone (and my extended family/friends) in the US all boil water too....

Actually, I looked it up before this post. It used to be recommended (most sites were talking about formula preparation) but it has been removed from the recommendations and replaced with "Check with your child's doctor or local health department", but otherwise cold tap is used.

Wow I can't believe a nurse would give such bad advice! We travelled to mexico when lo was 3 months and he had just bm, he fed a lot during the day when it was really hot to stay hydrated :)

Shocking advice. Feed on demand.

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/baby-water/

Maybe it's just me but have you ever had good advice on BFing from a nurse or doctor, lol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->