conflicting info about bf in hot weather

OMG why don't these people keep up to date with advice?? I'm sorry I know they're busy and understaffed but the misinformation in this country is disgusting.

No water needed, BF is all baby needs, you may find baby "snacks", just feeds for a few minutes to quench thirst, the milk will be more watery at the start of a feed. BM is all baby needs :flower:

Maybe it's just me but have you ever had good advice on BFing from a nurse or doctor, lol?

One midwife at the hospital knew what she was talking about, through personal experience, but generally no they don't. Would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

I've had a little more luck with MWs but doctors and nurses seem clueless.

Breastmilk is like 88% water.

Side note I live in the desert here in the US. I am talking temps 100+ degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 C) for weeks at a time. My doctors all said breastfeed on demand, no water, and if they seem to get hot take off clothing and mist body with water. Try and get into a cooler area to nurse if possible. On the hot days if we had been out a little bit I noticed she nursed more but that was really it. I kept her in cool clothing and I bought a misting fan but tried to limit our outside exposure.

Maybe it's just me but have you ever had good advice on BFing from a nurse or doctor, lol?

TBH no!!! Midwives and other BF mums and the internet gives best advice.
I'm glad I trusted my instincts I stuck to bf.

TBH no!!! Midwives and other BF mums and the internet gives best advice.
I'm glad I trusted my instincts I stuck to bf.

My pediatrician told me I had to give cows milk because at 12 months apparently there's not enough DHA or Fat in it by that point. I almost died at that response. When I went home and looked up all the medical journals they site to you about things those journals flat out said there is no need to supplement if still breastfeeding. I printed them off and gave them to his nurse the next day. I said I thought he should do some reading. I was pushed hard core into weaning as soon as my daughter hit 12 months. I refused to do any of it and got to a point where I would just lie to them about giving her other milk. I did file a complaint about it though but from what I have heard from others is it didn't change much.

I second some of the best advice I ever got was from this site and ones like KellyMom.

From the nhs advice page https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1955.aspx?CategoryID=62
"Avoid dehydration

Like adults, babies and young children need to drink plenty of fluids to avoid becoming dehydrated.
If you're breastfeeding your baby, you don’t need to give them water as well as breast milk. However, they may want to breastfeed more than usual."

And another nhs link https://www.dchs.nhs.uk/breastfeeding/myth_busters

"1.Breastfed babies need to be given drinks of water in hot weather.
NO – breastmilk contains everything a baby needs for the first six months. It changes to meet the individual needs of each baby. When it is hot, babies often have shorter, more frequent feeds and receive more thirst-quenching milk. It has been shown also that if breastfed babies are given water, they will take less breastmilk and this in turn can reduce a mother’s milk supply."

Patch2006uk that's fab, thanks so much, I shall be using that when I go back and speak to the practice manager.

No water at all until it's food time. You're instincts were right Hun. And her advice was terrible. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->