Confused about nappies

BeccaMichelle

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Okay, here goes. I've never really felt the need to use reuseables, I liked the convience of disposables, but when I found out my council would give me £80 to try some out I thought "what the heck, why not!" So I've been nappy hunting, I've been reading all the nappy threads I can find, and definitely freaking my hubby and inlaws out with talk of diapers.

So here's my questions...

1.) Generally I'm looking for a slim fit... I've heard good things about BG flips, are there any others that are quite slim?

2.) I've been using disposables so I think I need to break myself in with an all in one so I've been looking at bumgenius or gro-vias. Are they the best choices for a newbie?

3.)I LOVE this one https://www.teamlollipop.co.uk/shop/lollipop-softee-nappy-845-0.html but I can't figure out what kind it is. Does it need a wrap, is IT the wrap? Does it have inserts I need to buy with it? It looks quite bulky but I thought it looked comfy and if she was just kicking about the house she might really like having such a fluffy bum.

https://www.teamlollipop.co.uk/shop/lollipop-bamboo-nappy-2071-0.html this bamboo one also seems quite nice.

4.)Does anyone know of any good trial kit offers? So far the only one I've really come across is this gro-via one https://www.funkymonkeypants.com/gro-baby.html

Thanks for your help!!! :hugs:

3.)I LOVE this one https://www.teamlollipop.co.uk/shop/lollipop-softee-nappy-845-0.html but I can't figure out what kind it is. Does it need a wrap, is IT the wrap? Does it have inserts I need to buy with it? It looks quite bulky but I thought it looked comfy and if she was just kicking about the house she might really like having such a fluffy bum.

https://www.teamlollipop.co.uk/shop/lollipop-bamboo-nappy-2071-0.html this bamboo one also seems quite nice.

:) These two are both fitted nappies, which require a separate wrap over the top. They each come with an insert; in the size 1 the insert is separate, so for smaller babies you can leave it out, in the size 2 it is stitched in one end.

They will be quite a lot bulkier than a nappy like the Flip, for example, but that's never really bothered me other than when trousers won't go up over them. I use fitted bamboo nappies a lot, mostly Little Lambs, and they are lovely and soft; my son is cruising all the time now and when he plops down on his bum he almost bounces if he's in one. :lol: I have one Lollipop bamboo (the second of your links) and I have to say, I don't really agree with the blurb on the website that says it's a slim-fitting nappy. Um, no, it's not, if you expected "slim" I think you'd be a bit disappointed as there is a LOT more slim-fitting nappies out there. Slimmer than cotton, perhaps. That said, it's a nice nappy and looks really comfy. BUT bamboo is not fast-drying, which sometimes gets on my nerves. There's pros and cons. :lol:

Thanks Mary! It's great to hear from someone who has actual experience with them. :)

okay so those 2 lollipop ones are "fitted" which I guess means they need a wrap. (learning the terminology!) Do they take a particular wrap, and if so where do I find them.. or just a general wrap and umm.. where do I look for those. (see complete newbie!!)

You said the insert is stitched in.. so that means one wear and then into the wash with the whole thing? right?

^^WSS about the fitteds needing the wrap

I find this kind best for night as I do think they are a tad bulky, especially between the legs

I also think Flips are quite bulky - I have both the inserts and they are as wide as BG V3s which I used when she was small - they are wide between the legs.

BG V3 aren't great if you want a real all in one because they need stuffing, which if you dont want to spend time with the nappies is a pain in the bum - but it doesnt take too long

If you want a real all in one that is slim fitting maybe a tots bots, which is one thing (unless you add a booster into the pocket) https://www.babykind.co.uk/easyfit.htm

You can use any wrap over a fitted nappy - and there are absolutely loads available, you kind of have to decide what you want. Everyone has their own recommendation - my personal favourite is the Motherease Airflow, because I have never once had a leak from it. It falls on the boring but functional spectrum of wraps. :lol: But I don't care what they look like because they add no bulk (they look like they do but they don't) and they work really well.

Any nappy site sells wraps - Cheeks & Cherries, fillyourpants.com, babykind - etc etc.

The insert is stitched in on the size 2s, so yes, one wear and in the wash. Same with the size 1s, realistically, if the insert is added because by the time it is wet the rest of the nappy is probably a bit wet as well. I never just changed the insert when Adam was in size 1s.

Something else... with the bamboo especially, you'd need a stay-dry liner to keep LO feeling comfy, else it's a bit like being wrapped in a wet towel when the nappy is wet. Fleece liners are amazing, and they help keep poo stains off the nappy as well.

Oh gosh... why are real diapers so complicated? I think I need to go back to university and get a degree in reusables.. either that or my brain has just turned to mush from new baby syndrome and that's why I'm getting so muddled. *laughs*

Thanks Lisa! Okay- an all in one. You put on, they pee, you take off and wash. Correct? (The page you sent me to said that you should use a disposable insert too but that's just for ease of cleaning I think, right?)

What do you call the kind with a removeable liner, where they pee, you remove insert, put in new insert, continue to wear same diaper. (unless there was a poop storm or something)

Okay Mary - *laughs* it's all starting to make a little more sense now! Thanks for bearing with me. :)

If I get a fitted nappy I should get a wrap and stay dry or fleece liners... wait.. maybe the fleece liners are the stay dry liners, just a different type. (Did I get that right?)

This made me :haha:

AIO = put on in one piece, they pee, take off and wash in one piece, dry in one piece...negatives are they take longer to dry than pocket nappies (the ones you stuff the insert into) as they dont come apart (insert/absorbent part is sewn into the nappy).

Liners- you can use flushable/biodegradable liners which catch majority of poop (but not entire lot unless you are extremely lucky!) and can be flushed down toilet. Fleece liners are reusable and when soiled need a rinse, either with a shower head or the flush of a toilet and then chucked in with the normal nappy wash.

You can get nappies that you re-use the waterproof outer shell and just put a new insert in...Flips, Grobaby (now known as Gro-via i think?) or SIO itti bitti....

Phew....hope that helps!

Look like your having fun learning honey.

I've written a few articles in my siggy that you might find useful - it also links to examples of the types of nappies.

Grovia and FLips and really Hybrid nappies as they have disposable inserts as well as reusable options - so a half way house if you will.

everyone will have different opinions and preferences to their nappies. unfortunately i've found it's quiet and individual thing as what works well for one of us won't necessarily work for another as with sposies, all the nappies are slightly different in fit and might not suit your LO. my best advice would be to look into the different types and brands available and aim to try a couple of different ones which suit your lifestyle best then work from there!

Enjoy!

You're doing well already!!
If you are getting a Flip & want wraps, then the Flip wraps are fab. You could then just buy a Flip plus insert and then when the inserts wet, put on a fitted and use the Flip wrap :) voilà!!

I love Stay Dry Flips and I don't find them particularly bulky. I also really like a Tots Bots Stretchy with either a Flip or Little Lamb wrap over it :)

I agree with the fleece liner thing - I always use one and they are fab :)

Okay Mary - *laughs* it's all starting to make a little more sense now! Thanks for bearing with me. :)

If I get a fitted nappy I should get a wrap and stay dry or fleece liners... wait.. maybe the fleece liners are the stay dry liners, just a different type. (Did I get that right?)

Yep, that's right - fleece liners = stay dry liners. :lol:

Okay guys!! I've been taking what you've taught me and doing some web hunting this morning laying on the bed while it rains outside and my little Jessabear naps beside me (lovely morning!! umm afternoon now!)

Here's what I think I'm going to spend my 80 pounds on. Let me know what you think! :)

1.)Flip Nappy Trial Pack which has in it
1 x Flip Cover
1 x Stay-Dry Insert
1 x Organic Insert
1 x Pack of 18 Disposable Inserts

2.) Blueberry One-Size Coveralls
Colour: Pink Dots on Chocolate, Fastening: Poppers (for the fitted nappy if i really like them!

3.)Tots Bots Bamboozles (a fitted nappy to see what they're like)

4.)Bummis Bio-Soft Flushable Liners

5.)Blueberry Minky One-Size
Colour: Blue Pop, Fastening: Aplix

6.)Itti Bitti Snap-in-One
Size: Medium, Colour: Purple (I wanted brown, but they were out of stock)
In stock, immediate despatch

And that takes me to £83.19. What do you think? Is that a good "try'em out" kind of selection for a newbie?

That looks great! and wow, an £80 council incentive... I "only" got £30 (I know not everywhere does it, I am grateful. :lol: )

How much was the Flip trial pack?

I know! It's an amazing offer isn't it? I don't think many people know about it. At one point they were saying only 23 people had taken them up on it, but then I come from an area where less than 11% of mothers breastfeed at all.. so I guess a lot of people just aren't interested.

Here's the invoice..

Flip Nappy Trial Pack
Colour: Zinnia £22.95

Blueberry One-Size Coveralls
Colour: Pink Dots on Chocolate, Fastening: Poppers £10.99

Tots Bots Bamboozles
Size: 2 9.25

Bummis Bio-Soft Flushable Liners £3.50

Blueberry Minky One-Size
Colour: Blue Pop, Fastening: Aplix £22.50

Itti Bitti Snap-in-One
Size: Medium, Colour: Purple £14.00

I just hope they don't look at it and say "we meant basic ones, not all this fancy stuff" lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->