confused about tax credits

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I still haven't received my tax credits renewal but my friend has received hers and she reckons I may be due a refund when mine comes through but I am mega confused about it all..

I started claiming tax credits April 2013 when my son was born. At first me and OH were recieving tax credits based on our 2012-2013 income which was around £23,000. Then when I decided not to return to work I rang HMRC and gave them our predicted income for 2013-2014 which was £14,000 and they amended our payments.

My friend said that the first year you claim HMRC add on to your employment to make sure you don't get overpaid and because of this I should receive a lump sum because I will of been underpaid.

Does anyone know if this is true? We currently get £25 a week WTC (on entitled to it says we should get £30 a week) and about £62 a week CTC. Last week we received a random WTC payment of £15.

I'm so confused!!

I still haven't received my tax credits renewal but my friend has received hers and she reckons I may be due a refund when mine comes through but I am mega confused about it all..

I started claiming tax credits April 2013 when my son was born. At first me and OH were recieving tax credits based on our 2012-2013 income which was around £23,000. Then when I decided not to return to work I rang HMRC and gave them our predicted income for 2013-2014 which was £14,000 and they amended our payments.

My friend said that the first year you claim HMRC add on to your employment to make sure you don't get overpaid and because of this I should receive a lump sum because I will of been underpaid.

Does anyone know if this is true? We currently get £25 a week WTC (on entitled to it says we should get £30 a week) and about £62 a week CTC. Last week we received a random WTC payment of £15.

I'm so confused!!

Its very confusing. I rang up and gave predicted income for 13 to 14 as my wage would be much lower due to maternity. This year we still haven't received our renewal pack yet and I noticed like you a random payment of tax credit which I thought I weren't entitled to. I rang up and it turns out they've cut my tax credits!! The reason for this was our employers sent our income in but mine was higher than I told them because they didn't take the 100 off to account for SMP per week iykwim. So added on like 3k onto what I told them but it was wrong obviously. They said I'd have to wait for my renewal to sort it out (not very good if you have a budget!). I told them my income from last year anyway and they noted it down and said it could take 8 weeks to sort out. So maybe your employer has sent your income in incorrectly? Might be worth giving them a ring.

Oh no! I hope this isn't the case with me! We rely on our tax credits and really can't afford for them to be cut :( I haven't been paid by my employer since February 2012.. I was receiving maternity allowance from the job centre but HMRC don't count that as income. The only money I've had off my ex employer is £850 which is holidag pay that they owed me x

Oh no! I hope this isn't the case with me! We rely on our tax credits and really can't afford for them to be cut :( I haven't been paid by my employer since February 2012.. I was receiving maternity allowance from the job centre but HMRC don't count that as income. The only money I've had off my ex employer is £850 which is holidag pay that they owed me x

When did you tell tax credits that you werent returning to work? You got £850 in the current tax year? Did you add that onto I presume your partner who earned 14k? It's so hard isnt it, theyve cut my tax credits down by £35 per week and Ive been trying to do my shopping and cant manage it all with what they are paying :(

I told the tax credits I wasn't returning to work as soon as I'd decided not too and then they told me to ring back in November when my maternity leave ended to confirm I wasn't returning. I've always rang them and kept them as upto date as I can because I'm scared of an overpayment.

I spoke to them about an hour ago on the phone and was told that random payments are common this time of year and that my working tax and child tax will be paid as normal. Hopefully this is right! The only reason I didnt return to my old job was because I moved towns whilst on maternity leave and don't drive so going back would of been impossible! Been applying for jobs since January but not having much luck x

I told the tax credits I wasn't returning to work as soon as I'd decided not too and then they told me to ring back in November when my maternity leave ended to confirm I wasn't returning. I've always rang them and kept them as upto date as I can because I'm scared of an overpayment.

I spoke to them about an hour ago on the phone and was told that random payments are common this time of year and that my working tax and child tax will be paid as normal. Hopefully this is right! The only reason I didnt return to my old job was because I moved towns whilst on maternity leave and don't drive so going back would of been impossible! Been applying for jobs since January but not having much luck x

Well that all seems really positive then. Hopefully it gets sorted soon for you. Good luck with your job search too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->