Confused after U/S, can anyone help?

TTC First

Reaction score
So my LMP was Nov 27 and I Oed around Dec 10th.

I went for my ultrasound today and the doctor is saying I am 7 weeks right now. I went for an u/s 2 weeks ago and there was no fetal pole, this week they did see the fetal pole. The doctor said that he was worried because the heartbeat was just a "flicker". He said that this may not be a viable pregnancy and wants me to come back in a week for another u/s.

I looked up a flickering heartbeat but I didn't see anything bad about it. I am really worried and wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

When I calculate that would be 7 weeks tomorrow, right? He was saying that since we know when I Oed he believes it is 7 weeks.

Am I counting wrong?

When I calculate that would be 7 weeks tomorrow, right? He was saying that since we know when I Oed he believes it is 7 weeks.

Am I counting wrong?

You are correct. Tomorrow will be 7 weeks and if you o'd on the 10th I think you'd be 7 weeks today.
I'm not sure how a flickering heartbeat would determine anything. Did he actually get a count of beats per minute? when I had my first scan I was 6w2d and my OB saw the heartbeat and didn't bother with a count. He said there was a heartbeat and that was good.

When we were in the u/s the tech said that she saw the heart beat so I didn't think anything of it. We then went to see the doctor and he read the report saying that the heart beat was a "flicker". I haven't seen anything online about what a heart beat "flicker" is. Everyone seems to indicate that it means they see it on the u/s. So I am not sure why he is worried about a "flicker". I have read that you don't hear the heartbeat till 12 weeks at times.

Can you call and ask what he meant, more specifically, like how many Bpm the heart is working?

TTC First: I'm sorry you're going through this stress! I am in the same boat as you! Well a little different... My first U/S there was no hb I was supposed to be a little over 6 weeks, and I did an FET so my dates are very accurate. Next appt we saw a HB but it was only 80 bpm, and measuring only 6 weeks. Unfortunately all you can do is wait the week and pray you see a heartbeat at your next appt!! Next time maybe ask what the actual bpm are? Then you might feel a little better. Because the term "flicker" applies to a huge range of hb measurements. Finding out the actual number should help a lot. Maybe you could even call and ask if they recorded the number from your last appt? I have my 3rd ultrasound today and hoping for a miracle! (A strong hb!) Good luck!! I hope you have a strong, sticky bean! :)

there is a heartbeat, but everything I have read everywhere has said you cant hear it until 9 weeks at the earliest. but thats just what i have read.

When we were in the u/s the tech said that she saw the heart beat so I didn't think anything of it. We then went to see the doctor and he read the report saying that the heart beat was a "flicker". I haven't seen anything online about what a heart beat "flicker" is. Everyone seems to indicate that it means they see it on the u/s. So I am not sure why he is worried about a "flicker". I have read that you don't hear the heartbeat till 12 weeks at times.

I heard the hb through the u/s machine at my first appt. Baby measured 8.4 weeks.

there is a heartbeat, but everything I have read everywhere has said you cant hear it until 9 weeks at the earliest.

I went for a scan when I was 6 weeks and they just said they saw a heartbeat. I asked for the rate and she said it was 121bpm.

I went back at 7 weeks and again they saw the heartbeat and I asked for the bpm which were 145bpm

For some reason they don't give you the rate unless you ask at my private place. They figure seeing a heartbeat that early is a good enough sign.

I heard the heartbeat both times as well but she has a super sensetive machine.

I thought all heartbeats were a flicker so have NO idea what your doctor is on about. They kept saying to me 'see that flicker on the screen thats the heartbeat' and your measuring spot on so I wouldn't be too worried.

Thanks Julia35 and mmbelle87.

We thought that the term "flickering" was a bad thing so we didn't think to ask bpm. Actually after a year and a half trying and two IUIs I was quite upset that I was hearing that bad news. It just seems that things just can't go easy for us.

I just called they don't have the bpm, it may be that the information that gets sent to the personal to analyze. They said that the report should be available tomorrow and they will call me when they get it.

The strange thing is that the u/s tech said the heartbeat was fine but the doctor said it wasn't. I really hope that they measured it.

my first day of last period was the 28 of November.. and ill be 7 weeks Saturday?

Can you call and ask what he meant, more specifically, like how many Bpm the heart is working?

TTC First: I'm sorry you're going through this stress! I am in the same boat as you! Well a little different... My first U/S there was no hb I was supposed to be a little over 6 weeks, and I did an FET so my dates are very accurate. Next appt we saw a HB but it was only 80 bpm, and measuring only 6 weeks. Unfortunately all you can do is wait the week and pray you see a heartbeat at your next appt!! Next time maybe ask what the actual bpm are? Then you might feel a little better. Because the term "flicker" applies to a huge range of hb measurements. Finding out the actual number should help a lot. Maybe you could even call and ask if they recorded the number from your last appt? I have my 3rd ultrasound today and hoping for a miracle! (A strong hb!) Good luck!! I hope you have a strong, sticky bean! :)

I went for a scan when I was 6 weeks and they just said they saw a heartbeat. I asked for the rate and she said it was 121bpm.

I went back at 7 weeks and again they saw the heartbeat and I asked for the bpm which were 145bpm

For some reason they don't give you the rate unless you ask at my private place. They figure seeing a heartbeat that early is a good enough sign.

I heard the heartbeat both times as well but she has a super sensetive machine.

I thought all heartbeats were a flicker so have NO idea what your doctor is on about. They kept saying to me 'see that flicker on the screen thats the heartbeat' and your measuring spot on so I wouldn't be too worried.

This is part of my confusion. If there was a flicker that is a heartbeat. When he said it I thought that a flicker was something like an abnormal beat. Then I looked on line and people keep talking about this flicker.

I am hoping to get more info when they call back tomorrow. I have another u/s next week and I will be seeing a different doctor after so we will see that that doctor is thinking.

there is a heartbeat, but everything I have read everywhere has said you cant hear it until 9 weeks at the earliest. but thats just what i have read.

I heard my baby's heartbeat today at only 6 w and 2 days :D you don't have to be 9 weeks to hear baby's heart beat..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->