Confused/worried

Stormynights

DD + Peanut
Reaction score
I don't know where to start... I'm pregnant with my second child. My first pregnancy I developed PIH (gestational hypertension) but delivered a healthy baby girl.

6 years later I'm pregnant with baby #2. I went to my second midwife appointment at 15 weeks and she said my blood work was good, my ultrasound (10 weeks) looked normal ect... but said in 5 or so weeks she's sending me for a level 2 ultrasound. I asked her why and she said something about because I had hypertension in my last pregnancy...

I should note, I'm only 25, don't smoke, I am overweight, but if everything looked fine why am I getting a level 2 ultrasound.

I mentioned having an elective ultrasound a week after my appointment to find out the sex of the baby... she said that was fine, but I'd need to be prepared that if they found something wrong with the baby I wouldn't have anyone to talk to about it...

The ultrasound is in the morning and now I'm freaking out wondering why she would have said that and sent me for a level 2 ultrasound.... now I'm terrified we are going to go in and find out something is severely wrong with the baby. 😭😭
Any advice? I've tried googling and I cant find anything related to PIH and level 2 ultrasound... also my bp has been normal so far.

Don't worry. It is probably just to be prudent. I had preeclampsia with my daughter and my second pregnancy was perfect aside from a bleed I had early on, but the OB was cautious d/t my history. I had PIH with my last pregnancy and took methyldopa. All three arrived safe and healthy. If you are concerned, I would just ask her reasoning. My first ultrasound sound showed a hygroma with my third pregnancy and I had to have additional testing, which was scary but everything turned out fine. Try and enjoy your pregnancy and be excited and not scared. It's a special time.

It's such a fine balance I think as a healthcare professional in making sure that precautions are taken based on past events and scaring the crap out of your patient. I'm sure all will be fine and as PP said, they are just being prudent this time around, but it is all very scary when you hear terms like level 2 ultrasound ect.

If everything is looking good so far, I would try not to worry which I know is easier said than done. A cautious midwife is a good midwife in my eyes :)

No obvious birth defects! Although baby did have her(probably?) legs crossed at both the knee and the ankle... then had her hands over her parts! So we aren't completely sure!

Glad to hear baby is okay! I agree with the other posters--I think sometimes they just have to say certain things to be cautious. They sound scary to us but to them they are just routine and necessary things. Glad you can breathe easy now !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->