Considering converting to cloth...

louandivy

Reaction score
But I literally know nothing about reusable nappies. Would be ever so grateful if you experts could give me all the info I need (I'm particularly concerned about waiting for nappies to dry as we have minimal space in our flat to be airing laundry everywhere!)

:hi: that's great you're considering cloth :) it can be very confusing and so many types out there. Here's a great thread for newbies:

https://www.babyandbump.com/natural-parenting/349794-beginners-guide-cloth.html

as you have limited drying space I'd probably say go for something with microfibre, as that is very quick drying. bamboo takes forever. Also you might find pocket nappies good as you take out the inserts and again speed up the drying time. My Bumgenius pockets dry within a day :)

I love fitted nappies as they're so reliable but they take forever to dry, so might not be so good for you.

It's best to buy a couple of nappies of different brands first to try as not all nappies will suit all babies. If you buy pre-loved then you can sell on without losing much money :)

Bristol city council do a scheme for nappies btw. if you google it you can find an application form that you send off and receive a voucher for £30 off £50 spent :)

here are another couple of useful sites:
https://www.ethicalshoppingforbabies.co.uk/2010/01/cloth-nappies-getting-started/

https://www.ethicalshoppingforbabies.co.uk/2010/04/cloth-nappies-faqs/

hope this helps. I'm still fairly new to it all myself, but found this info useful.

id say if your low on drying space then pocket nappies with microfibre inserts would be great, and at your LO's age then Birth to Potty nappys should suit her.
a cheap option for pocket nappies are Ebay cheapie nappies as we know them here, alot of people sell these on in time to fund more expensive nappies when they are sure they want to go cloth they sell for £3-5 new on Ebay and hold their vaule pretty well most people will onsell unstained ones in good condition here ( check the nappy buy sell section theres a link in the top of this forum ) for around £4 inclusive of postage and paypal fees,

Id recommend going to born on glos rd if you want to see some nappies first hand. The ladies in thete are really hekpful and they'll let you play around with them and show you how they work; they ony have a few brands eg bum genius, itti bitti etc but it will give you a chance to get your head around it all!

But I literally know nothing about reusable nappies. Would be ever so grateful if you experts could give me all the info I need (I'm particularly concerned about waiting for nappies to dry as we have minimal space in our flat to be airing laundry everywhere!)

Is there anywhere you could put up a ceiling pulley, as that's an amazing way of drying things, without taking up floor space. Because it;s high up, it catches all the convection currents, and also heat rises, so it's the warmest pat=rt of the room. The flat platform ones are particularly good, as you can stack stuff on them as well as hang stuff;)

A good site for beginners to cloth nappies is www.thenappyline.co.uk It explains all the basics.

Are you switching because you can get a nappy that says 'sgit happens' on the bum? ;) :rofl:

I agree with the other ladies - microfibre pockets would suit you best. I prefer fitted nappies with wool over the top. They do take longer to dry but i tend to stick em on the radiator then loosen the fabric back up when i put them away. Or they get tumbled for a special treat! x

Thanks guys this is really helpful! Will be looking into microfibre cloth...and dopeyjopey that might have had something to do with it, Pampers are seriously lacking in hilarious slogans on their nappies :rofl:

I did of course mean 'shit happens', not sgit haha.

If you are going microfibre i would definitely recommend bumgenius. A has accidentally worn one overnight (silly Nana!) and it didn't leak! Lots of people also like flips but i don't get on with them at all! Ebay cheapies are good too :thumbup:

You can dry them too! I mean I'm sure it kills the resale if they get damaged.. but drying nappy inserts insn't unheard of! Also you can try like hybrids where you have less to wash Flips and gdiapers are like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->