Considering future births

Ley

mum to 3 pinks
Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this but here goes.
I know I am jumping way ahead of myself here but I've been thinking about my next birth and what to do.
My first 2 labours were very short. My first was 3 1/2 hours and my second was 45 minutes, we live 25 minutes away from the hospital so needless to say we cut things very fine and my daughter was born 6 minutes after we pulled into the hospital car park.
I was advised after my last birth that if we were every to have a third, a home birth would probably be a good idea however I'm not totally comfortable with that idea.
I don't like the idea of neighbours hearing me labouring and birthing, there are the sort that might actually get annoyed by it. I'm also not comfortable being so far away from the hospital incase of complications.
Likewise, I'm worried that if labour 3 is as short or shorter than my second I may end up giving birth unattended in the back of a car.

Like I said, I know I am jumping way ahead of myself here and I know the best thing to do is talk it through with a midwife when I do eventually get pregnant but I'm asking for any thoughts, opinions or ideas any of you ladies may have?

thanks for reading x

Hey Ley!

At how many weeks were your daughters born at? You could maybe speak to your GP/midwife to ask about getting induced a few days early, so that you could be assured of being in a hospital...don't know if that is a good or valid idea though, just a thought, especially as you have very short labours.

You could maybe look into home birthing options as well, just incase. Do you have a lot of pre-labour signs or was your labour pretty much the 45 minutes from start to finish. If you had definite signs like losing your mucus plug etc, you could maybe go in to be examined once this has happened.

Good luck and a big well done on your short labours! My labour with Tristan was nearly 30 hours, so I am jealous! I am hoping that I get a shorter labour if we have another baby.

xxx

thanks for your reply x
my first was born at 39 weeks and my second was 38 weeks. With my first my waters ruptured on there own 6 hours before labour began and with my second I had some cramping and visited the hospital earlier in the day only to be sent home and told baby would probably be overdue.

Im wanting a homebirth. I hate hospitals, I hate the idea of my OH having to leave if they keep me in over night.

How far away from the hospital are you?

If your last labour was only 45 mins and the hospital is 25 mins away i would definatly consiner a homebirth.

The midwifes have everything with them they need should something go wrong. The only thing they dont have available is a section. Even if something goes wrong in the hospital it still takes time to set it up and get every thing ready.

But there is less need for interventions at a home birth in the first place.

it is hard to no what to do isn't it :hugs: i think about my next birth(s) quite a lot, my daughter was 40hours, still 3cm and em. c-section in the end and i often wonder what i'll do, i don't want vbac due to the % rate ending in c-sections any way, but i don't want the section recovery time either :dohh:

i think the most important thing about labour is your 100% comfortable hon, i no i would never have been comfortable with a home birth, even after having maddi's labour, but i no for some, it works wonderfully :D i agree with talking it over with your mw when the time comes too, perhaps, before hand, right a list of what you want/feel happy with and see your mw can help you big your next labour based on that :D

it is hard to no what to do isn't it :hugs: i think about my next birth(s) quite a lot, my daughter was 40hours, still 3cm and em. c-section in the end and i often wonder what i'll do, i don't want vbac due to the % rate ending in c-sections any way, but i don't want the section recovery time either :dohh:

i think the most important thing about labour is your 100% comfortable hon, i no i would never have been comfortable with a home birth, even after having maddi's labour, but i no for some, it works wonderfully :D i agree with talking it over with your mw when the time comes too, perhaps, before hand, right a list of what you want/feel happy with and see your mw can help you big your next labour based on that :D

The % of a second section is only so high because most hospitals insist that you are monitored constantly so your stuck to a bed. Because you are stuck on a bed your labour goes slower than what it would if you were up and mobile. Some hospitals also push you to have an epi, slowing down your labour and then because your labour goes slowly you end up having a second section for failure to progress. They set you up to fail before you have even started.

The problem I would say with a home birth is that your just as likely (if not more?) to have an unattended birth because when you phone the MW it's still going to take her time to get to you. I don't know if this was bothering you or just the thought of having LO in a car :p
I don't know if they would induce you early or not. Maybe another option would be staying in hospital from, say, 38 weeks or something *shrugs* I know you'd probably go bonkers if your in there for weeks and weeks though! LOL :)

I think the reson doc's are so touchy about c-sections is because there was obviously a problem the first time (in their eyes) so the chances of there being a problem again are higher. They play it safe.

The problem I would say with a home birth is that your just as likely (if not more?) to have an unattended birth because when you phone the MW it's still going to take her time to get to you. I don't know if this was bothering you or just the thought of having LO in a car :p
I don't know if they would induce you early or not. Maybe another option would be staying in hospital from, say, 38 weeks or something *shrugs* I know you'd probably go bonkers if your in there for weeks and weeks though! LOL :)

I think the reson doc's are so touchy about c-sections is because there was obviously a problem the first time (in their eyes) so the chances of there being a problem again are higher. They play it safe.

The midwife for a home birth would be a community midwife so are more likely to be local and if they thought that they would not get there in time they would send a paramedic untill the midwife could get there,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->