• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Constipated one month old, HELP!!!

MommaBunni

Mom & wife
Reaction score
My son is one month old and is both bottled and breast fed, more breast than bottle though.

All day today he's been asking to feed, a lot, has been passing a lot of gas, but has had no bowel movement since yesterday night. Also, his poor little tummy feels hard to the touch. (Not too hard, but like when an adult is constipated.)

His peds. is closed for the night, but I can call tomorrow, but do you ladies have any tips or suggestions to help him feel better? If he's not asleep, he is crying!

Firstly don't stress too much, he can't be too much in pain if he's only been a day, maybe he's just more bloated, the only thing for a baby that ages who's constipated is cooled boiled water, rub his tummy & whilst he's lying on his back, move his legs up and then move them like he's riding a bike.

My little man has suffered constipation since he was born but he's been known to go as long as a week without having a poo! It's perfectly normal for them not to go everyday,

Hope this helps

my lo had constipation quite a bit when she was really little (but she was formula fed). I don't think bf babies get constipation much at all, very rarely I believe. It doesn't sound like constipation. My lo would push and push and scream when she was having a problem. Try giving a little cooled boiled water (although my lo wouldn't take much when she was little) and call doctor in the morning. I also find putting my lo in a bath makes her go! (must make the passage nice and relaxed... ewww tmi!)

breast fed babies produce very little waste and can go a few days, up to a week without a bowel movement. As mentioned above, just because your little one hasn't poo'd for 24 hours, doesn't necessarily mean it's constipation.

Might be wind or tummy ache.Try tummy massage, warm baths, cycling motion of legs and 'tiger in tree' hold position.
Also as mentioned cooled boiled water is a good idea.
xxx

My little girl used to only poop 1 in 4 days, I was so worried about it,spoke to my health visitor and she suggested trying 1 part fruit juice (apple orange etc) to 10 parts water. It worked a treat. made her go. my sis in law used it on her lil one and my best mate did for her son

my doctor told me 2 give my LO sugar water or diluted orange juice

He had been trying to go all day yesterday when I posted. Grunting and holding onto my fingers and pushing. He finally had a small bowel movement around 11pm and today, had about four of them, one that just filled his diaper and it spilled out. Haha, sorry, tmi. But, he's happy now! Thanks ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"