Consultant appointment at 34 weeks re High BMI

SammyJ

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had a consultant appointment re BMI this late in their pregnancy.

Basically last week at my midwife appointment they realised I'd been referred to the anaesthetist and not the consultant and had to ring to get me an emergency appointment.

I would like a home birth and my midwives are happy for this, but said that I had to have an appointment as my BMI is 38 and if I didn't see a consultant they would get their wrists slapped.

I have no idea what will happen at this appointment and was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me at all?

Thanks!

I went to the consultant for something totally not related to BMI, but for me they were just always checking on baby, asking about patterns and habits and how you're coping. They also went into the risks of the medical reason I was Reffered in the first place.

I imagine that they will tell you the risks of birth as a heavier mum, do checks on baby and keep you on their system. But it's good that they are sending you if they think that your weight may cause any issues, at least they are aware and ready! :) that's what I think about my own consultancy led care, at least I'm in the right hands should anythinh go wrong! :)

Try not to worry too much, I'm sure it's just protocol to make sure that everything looks ok! :)

Hi,

i'm under a consultant for BMI, and basically i have seen them twice, tho i have 1more booked next week.
So far this has been similiar to my midwife check- urine/BP & Heart beat monitor.
They went through all the higher risks of being heavier (world famine, war, and generally everything else blamed on being over weight :winkwink:) lol, but basically spoke to me about ensuring i was eating healthy, my blood pressure and the risk of needing assistance during labour.

Now don't get me wrong i don't dismiss the risks- but i do think as per they do go over the top. Plenty of people who are over weight have perfectly healthy children, but if there's a stick it's used for beating lol

I also saw the anesthetist- who was actually quite informative and i found this visit more of a benefit about potential risks. He informed me that i need to be open to an epidural incase of long labour and what would happen if i needed a csection etc.

The consultant put me on fragmin injections as a precaution for DVT, which i take although again never had an blood tests to confirm higher risk so feel this is more of "just in case" measure rather than any real risk.

I have had a scan at 36 weeks to determine size, so that they could decide if i will need a csection if baby was big, which i will discuss next week at my last appt (she is currently measuring 6lb4 so the nurse said that was normal).

Anyway hope that has been a little helpful as to what the appointments have been about. If you were having any pregnancy problems your Midwife would have addressed them- and yes i think most of the consultant appointments are now NHS protacol.

:)

Hiya. I saw consultant at 12 week's and am due to see again at 32 week's regarding bmi. Mine was 35.5 ish. The first appointment was just about explaining I need to keep weight down and I'm higher risk for gd and a big baby and c section etc but felt it was total waste of time. I'm there soon and I'm expecting the lecture again about overweight oregnant mums but to be honest I wont pay much attention lol. Would be nice if they did a scan but that's just because I like seeing baby haha and would like to check she really is a she lol. Dint worry about it im sure it's protocol for nhs for mums over certain bmi. X x

Well in the end the consultant didn't turn up!

I was seen by someone else who just did exactly what the midwives usually do and she had to ask me why I was there!

I then explained had been referred because of BMI but that I want a homebirth. She went off to speak to a different consultant and said that as my son was 9lb2 they were slightly concerned about me having a big baby and would like to book me in for a scan.

If the scan shows that this baby is not too big and is definitely not breech then they are happy to sign off on my homebirth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->