Consultant wrote "Headaches. Hypertension," in my notes but didn't explain...

Daniellexoxox

Mum of 1 & Pregnant!
Reaction score
I had a 24hr blood pressure monitor and my systolic results ranged between 140-160 at the highest. The diastolic number was mostly normal.

I've had 0.3 protein in my urine for the last two visits at antenatal.

My consultant has swapped me to another obgyn but I'm not seeing him untill mid November and all she told me was that they'll just wait and see if my protein/bp increases even more.

Is this normal practise??

I'm sorry I don't know. My bp went up with last pregnancy but not until.38 weeks. Ever since it's remained high, 140/70 is fairly normal for me now, although I work hard on my diet and weight to reduce it as much as possible. My last reading was 120/60 so, not to bad. I guess they can't be to worried with you general reading to not action it with medication and more regular appointments.

140-160 is sorta high for a resting blood pressure, and you shouldn't have any protein in your urine. How far along are you?? Your doc is probably just wanting to closely monitor you because these are both signs of preeclampsia. Headaches are too.

140-160 is sorta high for a resting blood pressure, and you shouldn't have any protein in your urine. How far along are you?? Your doc is probably just wanting to closely monitor you because these are both signs of preeclampsia. Headaches are too.

22 weeks + 2 (same as you going by your ticker). Yes it was resting and she did say it's high for my age, but that was it. Just wish I knew how this pregnancy will turn so I can prepare myself if the worst should happen.

These are symptoms for PreEclampsia.
Most of the symptoms ARE normal pregnancy symptoms but combined with protien in the urine it can be dangerous so they will monitor you more closely. Its very important to be aware of how you're feeling and say it at each apt. If you just do not feel right then get to the hosp. It's early days, it could all settle down and may not be Pre-E at all but as the condition is serious, any good Doctor will zone in on these symptoms and make sure you and baby are well and safe. :)

I would just give it some time. Women don't get diagnosed with preeclampsia until 24 weeks + sooo you never know what could happen. Just listen to your body and what TheNewMrs said, if you feel "off" or like something isn't right, then you're probably right and you should go to the hospital right away! Preeclampsia can quickly turn into eclampsia, if it's not managed correctly, and that can be really bad for mommy and baby. Relax dear! Everything will be ok!!!

Hypertension is high blood pressure.

The early signs of preeclampsia are hypertension and having protein in your urine. Headaches is a further symptom which is caused my the high BP. My midwife told me if I had symptoms to call straight away. I'm sure you're supposed to be diagnosed with it if you have high blood pressure and protein after 24weeks though.

So it could settle down by then. When you go for your 24 week app theyll be watching you and checking for it since its on your notes. Sound to me that what theyre doing is waiting to see if youll be diagnosed with pre-eclampsia.

Maybe worth calling your consultant to explain and ask if its worrying you. And if you feel they didn't explain enough or give you answers.

I would go back in the meantime if you feel any worse or any other symptoms, some women have no symptoms in the early stages. I'm not a doctor and I don't want to freak you out. I hope your bp and protein go down for you.

Good luck I'll look out for your update hun x

Thanks for your replies ladies. I'm seeing my midwife in just under 2 weeks time and she's lovely so I'm sure she'll explain everything. Plus I'll be 24 weeks by then x

Definitely signs of preeclampsia. I had it with my twin pregnancy and at 29 weeks I was admitted into hospital for 8 weeks. It can get very serious so they are taking the necessary precautions for the health of you and your baby... dont worry too much though because it can be monitored as mine was and I delivered my twins at 37 weeks both perfect. Most likely if they dont see a drop in BP they will put you on some meds for hypertension and control it that way.

The best thing to do is rest as much as possible. Put your feet up and just rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->