Consultant

reallytinyamy

Mum and step mum
Reaction score
I've spoken to the hospital on the phone over lunchtime. Apparently I need to have a consultant take over my antenatal care. I've got an appointment for 22nd which means I have 3 appointments in a week. Its also the day before my 12 week scan. The hospital said I will have scans done with the consultant but still need to keep the other appointment. I guess I want to know if anyone else is under the care of a consultant and what happens because I really don't see the point to be honest.

Generally you are under a consultant if you are classed as High Risk - Which could be due to a multitude of reasons, such as gestational diabetes, history of miscarriage, previous pregnancy problems, existing health problems etc.... have you been told why your under your Consultant?
I had consultant led care due to Repeat Pregnancy losses and an immune disorder which meant I had daily medication to maintain my pregnancy.
- You will have the usual checks your Midwife does, such as BP, urine, fundle height etc....but you also have an expert to pick up and act on any problems you may have. The consultant can authorise any bloods and scans you may need on the spot. He can also prescibe any medications you may need.
I always felt more reassured by being seen by aconsultant, after all they a hell of a lot more qualified than a Midwife.

Yeah I know why they referred me to a consultant, but when I spoke to them on the phone it sounds like all it will mean is everything will be done twice, once by midwife and once by consultant. I mean.... why do I need two scans in two days, especially when I've been told they'll both be exactly the same!!!

You certainly don't need two scans in two days. I suspect your Consultant will cancel your second scan. Scans aren't usually done more frequently than every 4 weeks under a consultant, every two weeks for identical twins and certainly not on a daily basis unless there is risk of fetal demise and thats certainly not the case for you!

I want two scans in two days :hissy: no fair lol!

Least you cant say you are being ignored!

xx

Thats true but I can't help feling that its a waste of time and recources that someone else might actually need. Its only becuase I have an underactive thyroid!

Its good they are monitoring you no matter how small the problem seems - A lot of girls struggle to get this kind of expected care in their areas so :thumpup: and extra scans is GREAT :D Like Rachie said they will probably cancel one of those two in the same two days running - you may want to mention it incase there was a mistake but no doubt go for any extra care you can get ... personally I would anyway x

I was under a consultants care from 11 weeks, and it is really no different to a MW's appoinment in many ways, it is just that if you need medication or things done i.e extra scans, the consultant can OK them there and then to take out all the waiting - plus they get to follow your progress with the pregnancy and are familiar with your case. I was glad to be under a consultants care in the end as when I got to near the end of pregnancy I was so bad and they saw my deterioration as the weeks went on, so all on my side really as I had the big bosses making the decisions, I didn't have to go thru a MW & hope that she would refer me! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->