Contraception failed, we are all right with it, but when should I test?

mrs piggy

Reaction score
First of all, I need to say that hubby and I do not TTC. We always use prophylactics with hubby, but last night the method failed (... it broke, and I am not on the pill right now). I am 30, married to my man for 2.5 years and to make a long story short, we decided not to do anything about the whole thing and just let mother nature take its course. I have PCOS since I were 14. If I do get pregnant now, it will be a little miracle.

Problem is that my periods are rubbish. I get them every 6 or 7 weeks. I was supposed to have my period 2 days before Xmas but as usual, it never arrived in time.

So, my period is already 10 days late today; but I would not stand the chance of being pg before last night, cause we always used contraception. Considering that the 'accident' happened last night, when should I test?

If your periods are irregular then you won't be sure when you have ovulated. This means you can't really know for sure if you are fertile or not as you could be running a very long cycle this month and you can't tell where about in it you are.

If you happen to ovulate last night then a standard test would most likely show positive in 2 weeks time, which would be the same time your period would be due based on ovulation (generally period occurs 14days after ovulation and its the first part of your cycle that varies in length).

However as sperm can live for 3 days and implantation can occur late, and production of HGC, the pregnancy hormone, can be delayed it is possible for it to take up to 19days after unprotected sex to get a positive pregnancy test. If a test is negative 19 days after unprotected sex then your in the clear. If its negative before 19 days there is still a chance that its a false negative and too early to tell.

My suggestion would be that if you don't get your period, test in 14 days time and then if still negative another 6 days after that.

Thank you Celesse

I appreciate your speedy reply. May I ask one more question? In the UK most pregnant women take folic acid tablets. Judging from the fact that the accident happened last night, and I have never taken folic acid before, should I start folic acid today, just in case I am indeed pregnant right now?

Thank you Celesse

I appreciate your speedy reply. May I ask one more question? In the UK most pregnant women take folic acid tablets. Judging from the fact that the accident happened last night, and I have never taken folic acid before, should I start folic acid today, just in case I am indeed pregnant right now?

i would say yes, i am unsure whether i am pregnant, so take it. it doesnt hurt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->