Contractions?

Al Syr

Reaction score
I have read and been told that if you have 4 or more contractions in an hour I should call doctor. Now here is my question, are non-painful Braxton hicks contractions a reason to call doctor? I think I have had 3-4 in the last 53 minutes. I am not uncomfortable or in pain or anything like that, this is my first pregnancy so I'm clueless!

u could call ur doctor but they wont really do much about it until the BH became painful and are regular.

id say have a bath to help with the discomfort, relax or maybe go for a walk x

I agree. If they pick up, are painful, then call.

Thank you for the replies! Like I said, they are not painful or uncomfortable at all, and I think they have stopped. I have a regular appointment on Wednesday, I will mention it, although mentioning it makes me nervous because my doctor will probably do a cervix check and I dont like those AT ALL!

Iv had constant BH for the last few weeks.They re quite uncomfortable too so i never know if they are contractions starting or not from day to day.this is my second but i had cs with first so im still clueless.LOL.

the bigger u get the more u feel BH and the stronger they seem to get also.
i dont think ud get a internal because of these tho

If you're uncomfortable with the cervical checks, I would not do one. I had one at 38 weeks and it actually STARTED labor for me, and I had bleeding that was heavier than spotting also. If you're worried you might be dilating from the contractions, it usually takes a lot more than Braxton Hicks to get it going. (I was 1 cm at 35 weeks with tons of cramps and almost 2, 3 weeks later) Anyways, just saying it made things worse for me to get a check. Even if you are dilated it's not an indication of when you will go into labor.

If you're uncomfortable with the cervical checks, I would not do one. I had one at 38 weeks and it actually STARTED labor for me, and I had bleeding that was heavier than spotting also. If you're worried you might be dilating from the contractions, it usually takes a lot more than Braxton Hicks to get it going. (I was 1 cm at 35 weeks with tons of cramps and almost 2, 3 weeks later) Anyways, just saying it made things worse for me to get a check. Even if you are dilated it's not an indication of when you will go into labor.

So when you do start dilating do you get cramps? Discomfort? Pain? Like I said, this is my first . . . I'm clueless :wacko:

I will mention it, although mentioning it makes me nervous because my doctor will probably do a cervix check and I dont like those AT ALL!

These seem really common in US, I'm sure here in UK they just don't happen till you actually think it is labour, or am I wrong?

So when you do start dilating do you get cramps? Discomfort? Pain? Like I said, this is my first . . . I'm clueless :wacko:

I'm not sure for everyone, but I had a lot of period like cramping in my front and back for weeks and I was dilated to a 1, then more cramping, dilated to a 2. No idea what I'm at now since I actually had all those contractions. But this was without contractions that I made it to a 2 almost. I know some people dilate without noticeable pain. My first I was dilated to 1 cm and didn't have cramps, only pressure from where she was engaged for a month or so.

I will mention it, although mentioning it makes me nervous because my doctor will probably do a cervix check and I dont like those AT ALL!

These seem really common in US, I'm sure here in UK they just don't happen till you actually think it is labour, or am I wrong?

It's common in the U.S. for us to get cervix checks from 38 weeks on. Not sure why, maybe just to disappoint us that we're not dilated and make us think we need to be induced. :wacko: It's not an indicator of when labor will start, and is really pointless. Curiosity got the better of me at my 38 week check since I had cramping, and my 35 week check I was already naked for my GBS test so. I've heard it's not as common in other areas of the world, Australia, the UK, and maybe Canada don't do this as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->