Convincing DH...

HippieJess

Mom to 1 sweet girl
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me popping over from first tri. I decided on cloth diapering before DH & I decided to TTC. When I brought it up to DH he flat out refused & said he wouldn't change diapers if they were cloth. I told him poop is poop wether its in cloth or a disposable. Then he said the house will stink; I told him it won't since diapers will be washed frequently (more frequently then our once a week trash pickup).
Argh! How do I convince him that this is the way we should go? :dohh:

Everyone was against it in my house at first, 'til I showed them all the pretty colours and patterns! :winkwink:

My DH still figures it's a gimmick. He can bite me though. I change nearly every nappy anyway.

By the way, if you're planning on BF'ing, the poo really doesn't smell. It's a bit sweet even.

lol use disposables for a week and leave them in the kitchen bin he will soon notice the smell then spend a week in cloth i bet he wont be able to smell a thing lol

we have once a week trash pickup and no outdoor bins so all the sposies we use we have to smell for a week its gross so i try to avoid them as much as possible lol although we are still using them at night for the moment lol

my husband isnt a fan of changing cloth he will put them on but doesnt like taking them off but when he does he prefers to put them in pocket's and take off the prefolds lol its cuas with the prefold he doesnt have to touch anything but the outter layer he can just tip it so the insert falls out into the nappy bucket and hang the wrap up to dry lol as with the pockets he has to seperate them when putting them in the bucket lol. men are just werid lol but they do get used to whatever system you use pretty quickly and trus tme with the cost of dispoables these days its got to make finnacial sense to use washables
im trying to talk my DH into washable wipes at the moment.

Do you know anyone with a baby who uses cloth diapers? maybe you could spend some time with them and he can see how little they smell (if that's his main objection). Then go see someone who uses sposies and let him get a whiff!! We are having to use sposies at night as Lottie wakes up in cloth :doh: and she really really smells in the morning. it's horrid :)

There is a link somewhere..someone posted it urgh if you ask littlestar she may find it that shows 'whats in your nappy'
-went to find it-

https://www.ethicalshoppingforbabies.co.uk/2010/04/whats-in-your-nappy/ this may help :)

I only used sposies for about a month and even in that time the amount of times I had to nip to the shop just for nappies annoyed me - especially if I had to go to a cash point first!

If he's open to the "future children" discussion (our LO is 12 weeks and my DH is finally just admitting that we could have more lol!) then being able to use them again is a good one.

My nappy bin stinks a bit when you open it, but you've got to be next to it to notice! And as for washing them, I do it all in my house so he can't complain about that :) I don't take my inserts out of my pockets though, but I wash every day so it's never full so they fall out easy.

to stop my nappy bin smelling, I put some tea tree oil on a sanitary towel and stick it to the lid.

Washable nappies smell far less than disposables, as there'sno chemoical reactuon to stink the place out. They hang around for a far shorter timthan disposables - our wheelie bin om]nly gets emptied once a fortnight, whereas washable get washed at least every 3 days. Poo goes down the loo, not in the bin, so that's another smell reduction (although legally it should go down the loo even if you're using disposables!) You will spend well over £1000 on disposables alone on one baby, whereas £150 will see you through up to 3 babies in washable (OK, that's using terry squares, but they are the best anyway!)

Washables are cooler for your baby to wear, and that's especially important for little boys! Research has shown a temperature difference of up to 2 ºC cooler in a washable, than in a plastic coated disposable! They are softer, cuter and more comfy for your baby. They are also much better for hip development, because of the greater bulk between the legs.

If your baby has an upset tummy, you can run out of sposies very quickly, and not be able to get to the shops to buy more, because he's unwell - that can leave you in a lovely mess!!!

I could go on!

Buy some paper underpants for your DH, and see if he likes them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->