Copper IUD - heavy bleeding

Aunty E

Mummy to Mog and Teddy
Reaction score
Im having my first AF after iud insertion and it's pretty hideous. Does it get better? I really want this to work, but this period is early, long, painful and I'm bleeding like I've just given birth.

Hi hun,

I just had my coil fitted yesterday and so far I'm really uncomfortable, bloated and having horrible period cramping. Some of them feel like early labour pains!!

I can't offer any advice but I would be interested to know how you get on and if it improves for you. How were you after the insertion?

Cath x

Hi hun, sorry only just saw you'd replied. I had some extremely painful cramping after insertion, like afterpains for those of you who've had them, and early labour pains for those of you who haven't. I also had some spotting and generally feeling a bit rubbish. My first AF was four days early, and very very heavy, and lasted a week (rather than my normal four to five days). It was also extremely painful. However, Ibuprofen taken regularly deals with the pain and reduces the bleeding (I was bleeding like I'd just given birth for about three days) a lot and now I actually feel fine. I had a few problems with nausea and faintness, but I think that was the excessive bleeding and cramps. I'm told that the second AF is a lot better and that with time I won't really notice any difference, so I'm going to keep it in if I possibly can.

I'm on day 4 after the insertion. I'm a little better but I still feel way uncomfortable. Had a permanent water bottle since Monday!

Going to keep going over the weekend and see what happens. I'm running out of options so I need this to work! xx

My cramping started the day afterwards and was still tender four days later. Ibuprofen did make all the difference though. I had it because I'd accidentally had sex on fertile days (we were using natural planning but my dad died and I basically screwed up counting in the general disaster that was that month) and it was too late to take the morning after pill, but I'm not going back to hormonal contraception again. Combined pill makes me crazy, progesterone only makes me spot constantly and kills my libido. Natural planning was working really well apart from this giant cock up. I suppose if this doesn't work out, I could revert back to plan B, which was to get a diaphragm fitted.

Well I'm on AF2 after insertion. Good news is that I had a normal 28 day cycle. Today is CD1 and the bleeding is less ridiculously heavy than last time, but the cramping and nausea is about the same. Hopefully this time I won't bleed for seven days either!

CD3 - bleeding is still pretty bad. Today I've already lost about 60ml, yesterday was 50ml. So in two days I've already hit the threshold for clinical menorraghia. Lucky old me. My six week check is next week, so I'll be asking if this is likely to get better. Research tells me it will, but I'd like some reassurance that I'm not bleeding myself into anaemia for the fun of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->