Cora Willow's Birth Story! 7/7/09 (LONG!)

cooney

Reaction score
I'm just going to put what I had in my blog here =)

My Cora's Birth Story

Well I guess while I am still suffering from insomnia I have time to write this down!

I was scheduled for induction on Monday at providence hospital at 2 pm. I got there and they started me on all the necessary medications to try and get me to go into labor. My Dr. had already told me the chances of the induction working were slim due to the fact that I was still completely closed up and was not going to "pop" any time soon.

The beds in the labor room are very hard because it makes it easier to push when the time comes. Still it takes some women hours and hours to get to the point in labor where they need to push and I don't understand why I could not have had a more comfortable bed until that point. Because my water was not broken they put the baby on an external monitor and I had to lay on my back for it to work. I rarely lay on my back because I broke it in 2 places when I was 16. This, combined with the hard bed and the pain of contractions was on the verge of unbearable. My nurse was a little ***** who would yell at me whenever I would roll to my side because of the unbearable pain, because it made the heartbeat monitor not work. She refused to give me pain meds even though in my Dr's orders it said it was fine to give me a Demerol drip to take away any discomfort before the epidural was needed.

So I stayed in pain until around 3am when the nurse came in to check my progress and found that I had only dilated 1 1/2cm (for those who don't know you have to dilate 10 before you can push out the baby) they also only let you try induction for 24 hours before they schedule a c-section if induction hasn't worked. I was already 13 hours gone and only had 1 cm to show for it so I already knew the vaginal birth wasn't happening. (Something I was secretly happy about because I am waaay more comfortable with the idea of surgery than pushing a baby out my who-hah)

In the morning my mom (who was a nurse in the ICU for over 25 years) came in and asked me how everything was going. I told her about the pain and she screamed at the nurse and basically kicked some major ass for me. She had that ***** hopping to give me my Demerol drip. I love my mom.

My Dr. came in that morning and scheduled me for a c-section at 12:30 that (now Tuesday) morning. I just waited with Kevin (who stayed up with me all night helping me through the pain. I love him so much!) until around 12 when the coolest anesthesiologist in the f-ing world came to give me my epidural. He looked like a hippy, super smart, complimented my peace sign tattoo and basically discussed the music in his i-pod with me and asked me what I wanted him to play from it during the surgery. (It ended up being a swanky indi big bang sounding group) He was an expert at his job. I barely felt him putting in the epidural and never felt pain during the operation itself.

After the epidural was in they wheeled me into the operating room and Kevin and my mom scrubbed up and came in and sat by my head while 5 or 6 Dr.'s cut me open to big-band music. I remember being SO EXCITED and wondering when they were going to start when the Dr. said "It's a girl!!!" It was really fast, completely painless and I felt like I was floating! C-sections are THE BOMB. Cora didn't really cry much, just kind-of sighed really loud when she came out. They took her to a table where they rubbed her down and cleaned her off and wrapped her up. Kevin took this picture right after they cleaned her up and before they wrapped her. This was taken around 3 min or so after she was born.

https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/_cooney_/cora03.jpg

After that Kevin brought her over to me because they Drs were still stitching me up. I always thought new-born babies looked pretty ugly but when I saw her I thought she was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. I realize this is because she is my baby though =) Kevin and my mom were both crying. I felt like crying but didn't for some reason. I was just too happy to every cry tears of joy. Cora seemed to know exactly who I was right away and just looked at me quietly. She was exactly 7 lbs and 19 1/2 inches long.

A nurse whisked her away after that and I was stitched up and taken to a recovery room until I could bend my legs (A feat which took me around 3 hours to accomplish!) After that they wheeled me to the post-natal room where I was to spend the mandatory 48 hours after a c-section. Kevin kept leaving to visit Cora in the nursery. He and my mom kept reporting back telling me little things about her. 3 Hours later (6 hours after I saw her for the 1st time) they FINALLY finished checking everything and brought her to my room. I was about to cry because I missed her so badly. I tried feeding her and she caught on very quickly.

She passed all of her tests with flying colors and still remains a very easy quiet baby. She sleeps a lot and if she needs something she makes little noises but doesn't really cry loud unless she is spitting up. I can understand that. Throwing up sucks and I cry when I do it too. Recovering from a c-section is proving to be FAR less painful than when I had my tonsils taken out. I never expected everything to be so easy. I never expected to love anything as much as I love her already.

We just got home today and I can't sleep (she is sleeping like a rock though! funny hu?) so I decided to update everyone. Here are a few more pictures from the post-natal room.

https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/_cooney_/cora02.jpg

https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/_cooney_/cora01.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their love and support. It was an experience! I'm looking forward to the rest of my life with Kevin and Cora.

She is just gorgeous! fab birth story too. congratulations to you all. x

Gorgeous lil princess. Well done and huge congrats to you and all your family.
:hugs:
xx

Oh thats such a lovely story - congratulations honey - she adorable! xxx

What an amazing story I'm so pleased for you. xxx

Aww that's a lovely story and she is scrummy! Congratulations!

Omigosh I absolutely love that first pic taken of her looking at the camera sucking her fingers... beautiful baby! congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->