cord blood donation

greenkat

Mummy of two
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has posted this before but I was wondering if anyone is going to donate their placenta and umbilical cord to the NHS cord blood bank after your babies born?

I just found out about this recently and I think I'm going to sign up to donate cos it sounds like a good thing to do - they only throw it away otherwise don't they?

I just wonder what they do? - Wait around while your babies being born for it or what?

These are the hospitals you need to deliver in in order to donate cord blood - Barnet General Hospital, Northwick Park Hospital, Luton & Dunstable Hospital and Watford General Hospital.

Pretty useless for everyone else that would like to donate though :dohh:

:-s I hadn't considered whether they do it at my hospital or not - I thought they'd do it everywhere - I prob can't then...

From the NHS cord blood bank website -

"We have deliberately targeted our resources so that we collect from hospitals with the widest ethnic mix. This, combined with hospitals that have high delivery rates give us the greatest variety of tissue types for patients. These tissue types are inherited and are different in different ethnic groups. However, it is a future goal to expand the number and scope of participating hospitals throughout the UK."

NHS Cord Blood Bank website

They also do it at King's College Hospital in London through the Anthony Nolan bone marrow trust, just started in Feb and I think they're planning to add more hospitals in the next year or two

Would have definately donated if they'd been doing it in my area. Thanks for the info x

^ Ahh do they, thats where im gonna have my baby, when I get around to changing hospitals etc.

They also do it at King's College Hospital in London through the Anthony Nolan bone marrow trust, just started in Feb and I think they're planning to add more hospitals in the next year or two

Great :happydance:

More chances to make a difference!

i feel a bit dubious about it.

It^'s like here you can chose to have the cord frozen and stored and it can be used if your own baby gets cancer etc.

I feel a bit odd about having such important stem cells or whatever they are called somewhere out of my control...what if they clone my baby?!
I know the SAY its for good causes but...hmpp.. Not sure I like it.
Its like I am an organ donor but i wouldnt want to donate my eggs..just the way i feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->