Cord Cutting?

zBaby

Reaction score
How long does everyone plan on waiting?

We will be waiting until it stops pulsating before hubby cuts it.

I plan on laboring at home (as much as possible) and delivering in the hospital...
We are REALLY hoping that the doctor/nurses will allow us to also wait until the cord stops pulsating...
anyone have any experience with this?

I'm not sure how things are done in the US but in the UK it is the parents decision and they should state that to their health care professionals before the birth and also in their birth plan. I think the only time there may be a problem is in an emergency.:flower:

We're waiting until it goes limp and whitish, like you can see in these pictures. We had no issues with our midwives waiting to cut last time. They said it was pretty common for parents to wait these days. I imagine it depends on your hospital though. This time we're using our own cord tie instead of a clip too. I hope they'll be as supportive of that!

thankyou! photos were very helpful!

I waited until the placenta was out, that was about 15 minutes.

Ooh thanks,
I didnt know you could wait for the placenta to come out

We waited until cord stopped Pulsatin, it was in my birth plan to have delayed cord cuttin but as labour was so quick i never discussed with midwife but she just waited anyway!

If I had any more, I'd wait until the placenta was out and it stops pulsating. If you wait long enough, it "clamps" itself.

https://www.writeaboutbirth.com/index.php/whartons-jelly-the-natural-umbilical-cord-clamp/birth/

With my first the cord was cut before the placenta was birthed and the midwives pulled on the cord - bad idea both for baby who didn't receive the full transfusion from her placenta with all those prescious stem cells and for myself (risk of PPH with cord traction).

With my second I birthed at home with midwives. We waited until baby and placenta was born and I said I was ready and my eldest child cut his baby sister's cord. It had stopped pulsing.

With my third I freebirthed at home and we Lotus Birthed meaning that we didn't cut the cord at all but allowed the cord to detach naturally which occurred 4 days and 2 hours after my daughter was born. That was my favourite.

I waited until the placenta was out, that was about 15 minutes.

^WSS^ With our first we waited until the cord stopped pulsating...with dd#2 we waited until the placenta delivered (also about 15 minutes). It was interesting in the days after as I found dd#2 was quite red the first day or two and then had one day of jaundice. I didn't realize that getting all the extra blood cells due to waiting that little bit longer could contribute to that as it means they have more cells to break down...the jaundice was pretty much gone in the next day or two so it was nothing to be concerned about at all...just something I wasn't aware of!

I'm not 100% decided, we waited until it had stopped pulsating with DD but I love the idea of lotus birthing. Chances are I'll state I'm going to lotus birth and decide on the day whether to cut or not

If I had any more, I'd wait until the placenta was out and it stops pulsating. If you wait long enough, it "clamps" itself.

https://www.writeaboutbirth.com/index.php/whartons-jelly-the-natural-umbilical-cord-clamp/birth/

thanks for the article! i've always supported delayed cord-clamping, i will be waiting for my placenta to birth and the cord to clamp itself. might even try lotus style birth, and wait a few days for it to drop off naturally. although i think it will be just fine to wait a few hours instead ;)

I'm going to try to go until the cord goes white. I'm not sure if that's going to be allowed in the hospital in the US, does anyone know? Not pregnant yet but I'd love to deliver at a local birthing center (where they would allow it, I think), but my insurance doesn't cover them currently.

I'm going to try to go until the cord goes white. I'm not sure if that's going to be allowed in the hospital in the US, does anyone know? Not pregnant yet but I'd love to deliver at a local birthing center (where they would allow it, I think), but my insurance doesn't cover them currently.

It might be difficult in a US hospital, but as for waht is "allowed" - humph, YOU decide that! :D Check your hospital policy beforehand and write a plan of care for labour. :D

PS. With my first it was clamped and cut immediately :( With my second we waited a good 10-15 minutes, but I do wish I'd waited until after the placenta was out.

It might be difficult in a US hospital, but as for waht is "allowed" - humph, YOU decide that! :D Check your hospital policy beforehand and write a plan of care for labour. :D

That is why... as a US citizen... I am deciding to birth at home with a midwife. I don't want to take any chances of having my birth plan disrespected!

Haven't decided on a set 'time' yet... until placenta is delivered is what I'd ideally like. I asked my midwife if my placenta doesn't move up (I have partial placenta previa) and I'm forced to have a caesarean as a result, if I can still request a delayed cord clamping and cutting and she said it shouldn't be a problem so fingers crossed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->